My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I tried out our CountyLine (from TSC) middle buster on the BX2360. I need to break up the soil for a garden plot so we can remove rocks before tilling.

The MB worked only so-so. It appears to me that the blade angle of attack is too shallow.I expected it to bury itself in the soil, but it rode fairly high, even though I had the 3PT control lever in the DOWN position the whole time.

I adjusted the 3pt top link as short as it would go, so I can't increase the angle any more that way.

It looks like I could add some washers under the MB blade's top attachment bolt to increase the angle by perhaps 5 degrees, which might be sufficient.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Any suggestions on how to get the MB to bury itself deeper?

Thanks.

Mike

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I've got the King Kutter same thing and my 2305 will bury it in a heart beat to the point it will stop me dead in my tracks if I don't raise it a little. Are you sure your 3PH is traveling all of the way down? slkpk

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I adjusted the 3pt top link as short as it would go, so I can't increase the angle any more that way.

That sounds backwards, doesn't it? I'd think you would want to lengthen the top-link to make the implement dig in. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

That sounds backwards, doesn't it? I'd think you would want to lengthen the top-link to make the implement dig in. I could be wrong though.
No, lengthening the top link makes the blade more horizontal. In the photo on this page http://house.mdodd.com/update_entrance.html#Tractor the MB is leaning against a post, at the angle it would be if on he tractor with a longer top link. You can see that the point of the blade is raised off the concrete. Bringing the top closer to the tractor lowers the tip of the blade.

Mike

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I see what you mean now. That middle-buster has a very flat angle of attack compared to others I have seen. I would suggest you verify the lowest height of your 3PH next. Beyond that, I have had some problems getting a moldboard plow to dig in around here. You might need some weight on that frame if the 'bota does not have down force on its 3PH.

Nice place you have there. I'm just next door in Spotsylvania. Now I know where to bring the Cub Scouts to earn their astronomy badges.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was looking at your pictures via the link(nice Bota) and thought that you might be able to just tip the actual tip on the middle buster. You could add a spacer of some sort like a few washers and maybe a longer bolt to accomodate the washers. Only add them to the rear bolt so that the front of the tip lowers. I don`t have a middlebuster like yours so I`m not sure it will work but it might be worth the try. good luck

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see what you mean now. That middle-buster has a very flat angle of attack compared to others I have seen. I would suggest you verify the lowest height of your 3PH next.
I think it's capable of going plenty low enough, as this photo chows. http://mdodd.com/files/middle_buster_depth.jpg

I might indeed need some extra weight -- time to cast some concrete, maybe.

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking at your pictures via the link(nice Bota) and thought that you might be able to just tip the actual tip on the middle buster. You could add a spacer of some sort like a few washers and maybe a longer bolt to accommodate the washers.
I did exactly that today, and it helps a lot. Five washers on the upper bolt, two on the lower bolt. Here's a before-and-after comparison. http://mdodd.com/files/Middle_buster_angle_comparison.jpg

I plowed the remainder of the garden plot this afternoon, and I think the MB is bouncing up when it hits a rock. Maybe I need more weight.

QUESTION: Should I lower the MB and then release the hydraulic control lever, or hold it in the "down" position? I know the "down" position just releases pressure and allows the implement to lower by gravity, but does it also allow something to push the implement back up as well? If I release the lever, will this prevent something from pushing the implement up?

Thanks.

Mike

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Mike you want to limit your overall digging depth to about 6 inches or whatever the depth of your topsoil is. Bringing clay up to the upper layer of soil won't do a lot for you.

You can adjust your lift arms so the drop is limited to whatever you desire.

But for virgin ground or very compacted soil such as found after construction you will need some weight as you have no downforce.

And be ready for the rocks. I grow tons of marble and granite around here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice place you have there. I'm just next door in Spotsylvania. Now I know where to bring the Cub Scouts to earn their astronomy badges.
It'll probably be next summer or fall before I can build an observatory and set up the telescope, but you're welcome to visit after I'm set up. Contact me off-list if you'd like to keep in touch.

Mike
http://astronomy.mdodd.com

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can adjust your lift arms so the drop is limited to whatever you desire.
How do I do that?

Looking at the 2360 manual, I don't see a drop adjustment. Leveling, yes, with the right turnbuckle. Sway, yes, with the check chains. But drop? How? Remember, I'm a newbie.

Thanks.

Mike

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
How do I do that?

Looking at the 2360 manual, I don't see a drop adjustment. Leveling, yes, with the right turnbuckle. Sway, yes, with the check chains. But drop? How? Remember, I'm a newbie.

Thanks.

Mike
Well, I am making an assumption based on some other small tractors. Let me see if I can dig up a 2360 manual online and do better than a guess.

OK, I found some parts diagrams, but no operator's manual. Let me ask this. Does the same lever which controls the 3PH also control the deck lift? If so, I wonder if the deck height adjustment also controls the maximum drop of the 3PH?

It looks like the 3PH lever has a range of movement rather than a simply push to lift, pull to drop, release for neutral position. If this is the case a low-tech solution might be to lower the 3PH to where you need it, then make a mark where the lever should be.

You know, at this point we sort of need to move this thread into the Kubota forum where the Kubota experts will see it and can tell us what we are missing.

You could either open a new thread over there and reference this one, or report your own thread by clicking the report post icon in the lower left, and ask a moderator to move the whole thing over there.

·
Passed Away, Sept. 2013
183 Posts
You might have nailed it, D-Dogg. On my BX1860 at least, if the mower height adjustment knob is not set at "top", the range of the 3pt is limited. Found this out the hard way when towing my trailer and found that on the turns the 3pt hit the trailer. As per the manual, I set the mower height to "top" and 3 pt went much lower. Couldn't see the photos to see if Mike had a mid mower, but his three point did look like it was sitting too high and the mower height adjustment might do the trick. Trick is to raise deck to highest point, then adjust knob to "top."

Bryan

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
You can also add check chains that hook to the 3pt arms and something solid above them (like the ROPS frame) to limit travel, cheap and easy.

Brad

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know, at this point we sort of need to move this thread into the Kubota forum where the Kubota experts will see it and can tell us what we are missing.

You could either open a new thread over there and reference this one, or report your own thread by clicking the report post icon in the lower left, and ask a moderator to move the whole thing over there.
I'll just start a new thread there asking about 3-point drop limits.

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts