My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know whether to run for the hills, or go for the gold.

I am looking at what is supposed to be a 'Mid 70's IH backhoe and the guy 'thinks' it is either a 3144 or a 3444 tractor with a BD154 4-cylinder diesel engine.

He sez he bought it not running, and has put the following new/rebuilt parts on it: Starter, Battery, Lift Pump, Injector pump, Fuel filter, Glow plugs, Glow plug switch, and have had the injectors checked (I assume they checked out ok).

Now, why did he put a lift pump on it if the motor ain't even running yet? Whazzat thing do - lift the fuel up?

He sez "A buddy told me that he thought it had low compression."
Wonder how his buddy determined that - stuck his finger in an injector hole while Slick turned the motor over?? If he did, he ain't the brightest bulb in the string - and maybe now has one finger shorter than the rest!

So, here I am - wondering if I should waste any (more) time on this monster or not!

I called the closest Case/IH dealer in Monreo, NC, and the youngster in Service I spoke to didn't even know what a 3144/3444 was, much less a DB154 engine. So much for that one.

Then I called the next closest dealer, and had better luck. Dude Gary talked like he knew what he was doing & gave some good info. He said that injection system was a purely mechanical method and the injector pump had to be properly timed and had to be fully bled or it wouldn't work.

He said something about needing an adapter, a nipple and the gauge to check the compression. But he said he didn't think they had such for that engine.

I have read that the BD154 is a British motor, but Gary said that other equipment/engines from Britain (Moline maybe?) used regular American SAE bolts and thread types.

I have a friend (his name is Gary also) that works on big diesel engines, and maybe I can get some help from him - maybe.

So ...
1. Can anyone tell me if the injector threads are SAE, and what size the Daggone hole is?

2. What is this business about an adapter and a nipple? Does the nipple go in the hole first, then the adapter screws on to that? Seems logical anyway.

3. If nobody in NC has the proper rig to check this, then where can I beg/borrow/steal/rent one? Note: didn't say BUY! I'm going on 68 years young, and don't figure on making Mid 70's IH repair a new career.

4. Oh, yeah, just exactly what does a lift pump really do?

I would appreciate any help on this wonderful mess.

Thanks in advance.

Frustrated Fred

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention that I already own a 2003 John Deere 250 Series II skidsteer with a 4-in-1 bucket, stump grapple and auger rig, and do the normal maintenance on that stuff myself. I just haven't graduated into the backhoe category - yet.

Any help for me? :dunno:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. Just Googled 'lift pump'. Wow, our cars apparently don't have 'lift pumps'; they have *fuel pumps*. Never figured *fuel tanks* would be mounted like a belly mower, but, Hey, this is a Brit engine. What do I know? They don't have 'elevators' there either, so ...

Last thought - a guy who is a whole lot wiser (and older) than me once told me that the only really stupid question is the one that did NOT get asked!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Last thought - a guy who is a whole lot wiser (and older) than me once told me that the only really stupid question is the one that did NOT get asked!
Can't say I agree with your friend. I've heard many stupid questions in my life.

On the subject of the BD154, yes it's British. The "BD" stands for British Diesel.

A lift pump is just a type of fuel pump and many American cars, trucks, and tractors use them. A "lift pump" is a pump that lifts fuel from a lower place to a higher place. Just about any car or truck with a carburetor has one. Same for tractors if the fuel tank is not high enough to gravity feed fuel to the engine.
Cars with electronic fuel injection need fuel pumps that create high pressure which is a different job then just moving fuel.

The threads that hold the injectors in the head have nothing to do with testing. Each injector is held by two studs and two nuts. To test compression - you either need a specail T-shaped adapter that fits over those studs - or - you make an adapter that fits in the glow plug hole. The glow-plug hole is a same 18 mm thread many spark plugs use.

If compression is your only problem, the engine would fire with when you spray ether into the intake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can't say I agree with your friend. I've heard many stupid questions in my life.

On the subject of the BD154, yes it's British. The "BD" stands for British Diesel.

A lift pump is just a type of fuel pump and many American cars, trucks, and tractors use them. A "lift pump" is a pump that lifts fuel from a lower place to a higher place. Just about any car or truck with a carburetor has one. Same for tractors if the fuel tank is not high enough to gravity feed fuel to the engine.
Cars with electronic fuel injection need fuel pumps that create high pressure which is a different job then just moving fuel.

The threads that hold the injectors in the head have nothing to do with testing. Each injector is held by two studs and two nuts. To test compression - you either need a specail T-shaped adapter that fits over those studs - or - you make an adapter that fits in the glow plug hole. The glow-plug hole is a same 18 mm thread many spark plugs use.

If compression is your only problem, the engine would fire with when you spray ether into the intake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two 3444 backhoe with BF 154 diesel . Your lift pump should have a prime lever that you can manually pump to get fuel pressure to the injector pump. You may have to bleed the air out and re pump a few times. They don't roll very fast when trying to start with the key so if there is any air you will have to prime off the lift pump. If this fails use a little starting fluid it should run. If all macanal Mechanical Components are working as they should.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Your tractor is most likely a 3414, if it has a BD154.There is a big problem with sourcing bolts and nuts for this engine as a lot of them are British Standard thread which is NOT the same as American Standard, especially in the fuel system. Mixing and matching metric and English wrenches will let you work on it.
The glow plug system needs to be used every time you try to start the engine on these old things. The glow plug system works in SERIES not the convention parallel that we are used to. So you must make sure that each and every component in the system is in good working order.The electricity will stop at the first bad part.That means you must check the glow plug indicator as well as the glow plugs. The glow plugs also need to be connected together in a very specific manner or they don't work. You can find this on youtube. Without these in working order it will not start, not even with ether, and you must be very careful with that stuff in this engine. There are conversion kits on ebay.uk to change this over to a 12volt parallel system and I would highly recommend doing it.
I have one of these engines with about 4000 hours on it and it still has plenty of compression to start and run.If yours has an in-line injector pump, then the fuel-shut off also works as a choke. simply pull out on it before you start the engine. It will pull out approximately 1/16 inch and will automatically pop back in when the engine starts. Make sure you have about 1/2 throttle when you try to start it, especially if it's cold out, maybe 3/4. I would suspect that the same would apply to the round injector pump but I'm not sure.
England is the place to order parts. ebay.uk will be your friend. Not all companies will ship across the pond but some will and even with shipping prices are a lot cheaper. New starter with no core charge or return, I paid $339CAD just before Christmas. Try that over here. Tractor parts are duty free into Canada, not sure on the US but a call to someone in Customs and Excise would clear it up.
Hope some of this will help.

·
Administrator
17,036 Posts
I'm sure you noticed that this is a thread from 2012. But the good news is that the OP was most recently on here about three months ago so he might see these and respond. Would be interesting to know if he had any success getting his tractor running.
MikeC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts