My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. Wicked secretary walked off with our MS Outlook 2007 program when she quit.

2. When we installed ms outlook 2007 on bosses computer we also installed it on my computer and the computer called secretary.

3. At that time 1.Bosses computer RAN XP, mine Vista 7 and secretary ran XP

4. Secretary computer is a new computer with Win7 AND office 2010

5. My computer now up graded to WIN7 and had MS Office 2007 on it.

6. Upgraded bosses computer to a NEW computer with Win7 on it.
No MS2007 or 2010 on it.

7. Installed MSOffice 2003 on Bosses computer and then configured the email account using the settings for email account from my computer.

8. Used same settings as should be on bosses computer.

9. Everything installed fine and did the test and it came out just fine.

10. Cannot see any of the emails that i can see on my computer and Secretary computer on BOSSES computer, nor can we see anything email wise that is on his. Such as the email tests.

11. The settings are:
NAME: james.tsssales.com
Email: [email protected]
Account type: POP3
Incoming server: mail.tsssales.com
Outgoing (SMTP): mailtsssales.com

PORTS. Mine and his sat at
Incoming server POP3= 110
Outgoing server(SMTP)= 25

names are changed to prevent hackers but is essentially the same.
Have checked info entered 5 times and comes out right.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks for looking.:thanku

Correction: I can see new in coming emails. I cannot see all ready sent emails from just before i installed MS Office 2003.

·
-
1,829 Posts
Since you're not hosting an Exchange server in house (as I recall) I believe what's happened is the mail client downloaded the mail from the server to a local file on the old PC. If you open Outlook on the old PC you should see the old email.

There's a setting for POP accounts that specifies whether or not to leave the mail on the server in Outlook Express and I'd bet it's the same in Outlook (not 100% sure as I back end my mail with Exchange server and the mail/inboxes all reside there).

You can move the .OST file from the old PC to the new one.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know what i really did. It is now fixed. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
11. The settings are:
NAME: james.tsssales.com
Email: [email protected]
Account type: POP3
Incoming server: mail.tsssales.com
Outgoing (SMTP): mailtsssales.com

PORTS. Mine and his sat at
Incoming server POP3= 110
Outgoing server(SMTP)= 25
I believe that your outgong server setting is incorrect; the format is usually smtp.tsssales.com

and PigBear is correct. Check to make sure Outlook is not deleting the messages off the server when it downloads them. The path is usually "Tools", "Email Accounts", select the account, "Edit or Change", "Click the "More Settings" button, goto the "Advanced" tab and check the box that says "Leave a copy of messages on the server".

Since you have reloaded Outlook it probably overwrote the .pst file that keeps all your mail/contacts/notes/etc. If you have a copy of the old .pst (check C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst) you can save it to a separate folder and use the "Open Outlook Data File" command on the "File" menu to recover your data. This also works for any archive.pst files you may have. Just be sure to click on the top level folder in your email window to prevent duplicate folders from being created below your existing email folders.

You can confirm the overwrite by checking the .pst file; if the date/time on the file is close to the last time you used your email the data is most likely lost. I usually back up the .pst files, internet favorite files, and everything in the documents folder before migrating a machine.

Good luck, and sorry to hear that you lost the software. On a side note, if you still have the software key you might be able to report the theft to Microsoft and get another copy. At a minimum it should fail the validation check and be prevented from getting updates if it gets installed on a personal machine.

Edit: Sigh, 4 minutes too late....if only I could type faster

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have an overwhelming urge to forward this thread to my wife.... :)
I'm here to help. Well, if you don't forward it...got a spare frame and some wall space? :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts