My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I finally started to tear into the latest acquisition,a Bolens H14 with a 15 hp motor. Previous owner said it suddenly lost spark. I pulled the battery and sticking out from under the battery tray was a little bit of grass, nut hulls, and fluff. Ok, so I pull the tray.

:eek:mg: It was more than a mouse nest. It was an entire multi-unit. A mouse condo. They looked ready to subdivide.

There was about a cubic foot of nesting material packed tightly around the wiring harness, electronics, and hydro valve. I got out an N95 dust mask, shop vac, and a long thin screwdriver for a pick, and proceeded with urban renewal. An hour later I could see most of everything and some corroded, arced, and broken wires at the (i think) rectifier.

Hopefully a bit of rewiring will resolve the spark issue, and Mickey and Minnie will not return.
 

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
Joined
·
7,473 Posts
You are cruel. Even mice are having problems with the economy.:sidelaugh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Hmmm, must have had the same condo developer in our barn - except not a Bolens, but a 81' vette. Every fricken vent and all in the heater core, behind the dash.:Disgus: Not fun.


I hate those mieces to pieces!

sheila
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Boy they can sure make a mess of things...

:wwp:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Just finished evicting a clan of mice from the Simplicity 3012V that had moved in this spring. Got two plastic grocery bags of "building material" out of the driveshaft tunnel! Then started pulling shrouds off old C.I. Briggs engines looking for a good coil for the 3012V and found three that had nests at the coil and had the plug wire chewed off. Did find one useable coil in the whole shop!

At least the old Simplicity is back up running again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
plug wires and magneto insulation - a necessary part of a healthy rodent breakfast

A few years ago a friend suggested I set out Warfarin rodent poison in the winter, so I scattered green Warfarin pellets liberally near, on, and around the tractor. The mice responded by depositing an equal amount of green mouse poop near, on, and around the tractor. And they ate the plug wire. :duh:
 

·
The Magnificent
Joined
·
20,952 Posts
I now use a combination of plain old spring type mouse traps, and the rat sized sticky traps.I have terminated a family of 6 so far.

I think the poison doesn't do much to prevent the chewing damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Yep, I found with the decon bait, they just die deep in the nest - I don't like using poison. Sticky traps, snap traps you know what ya got. Considered a barn cat, but lot of coons, coyotes, and bobcat around. Of course if the cat came with a tractor----

sheila
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,973 Posts
I had a 91 Mazda minivan for sale parked out by a barn. Nest in blower fan cage evicted. Put back together and hooked up 2 wired incorrectly and the part cost me about $90. Mouse nest back within 1 week and evicted. Went up for sale around 9-11 and lost much value before I sold it and lost money on it.
 

·
USMC
Joined
·
19,146 Posts
I hate it when they get those condo's going. I guess I've been lucky so far only once have I had any damage and it cost me around $100 for a solenoid that a mouse ate the wire off and had to be replaced. slkpk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
What is it they used to say about building a better mouse trap? :D
 

·
15,000 +posts!
Joined
·
20,421 Posts
Those MA mice are a piain!..I had some in my MTD's Kohler,and I suspect they chewed the plug wires,its never run quite the same since I flushed the nest out with the garden hose and compessed air (was too lazy to pull the blower housing off,its a 2 hr.job!)..

Plug wires and coils must be candy to mice,it seems to be high on their list of desireable foods..that and wire insulation--in vehicles,air cleaners,the duct hose on them,heater ducts and the seats seem to be favorite "mouse house" sites..and they love using that jute padding under the rugs for nest material..

They even built nests in stored engines I have in my reefer truck body too,and a whole family was living in a 69 Chevelle radiator I was saving--no need to explain what rat poop and **** does to a brass radiator--JUNK!..and I have half a dozen "barn cats" to,,they DO kill quite a few mice and moles though ,and always plop them at our doorstep where your gauranteed to step on them and skid!..(every time that happens,I see a grinning cat nearby,as if to say "see what I brought you"..ya--good kitty!..mumble-grumble)...

Mice are not only destructive,they can be fatal..a guy I know who ran a mower epair shop locally died when he was only 39,from some rodent borne virus,that he was evidently exposed too when cleaning many rats nests out of small engines and tractors...so beware!..wear gloves and maks,and a shop vac might be the wosrt thing to use ,next to compressed air,it ejects the dust everywhere..I wash them out with the hose first,then use air ..
It's not bad enough everything rusts away here in record time,if you try keeping it dry and clean,mice move in and destroy it instead..I'm wondering how many are living in the 500 CID Caddilac V8 I have in my shed,I forgot to block up the Y-pipe,and I dont doubt a few have moved into the exhaust manifolds..I do spin it over frequently though,to ensure none have nested in the cylinders..I've seen mice destroy engines in the junkyard,pistons dont like being peed on..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Mice are not only destructive,they can be fatal..a guy I know who ran a mower epair shop locally died when he was only 39,from some rodent borne virus,that he was evidently exposed too when cleaning many rats nests out of small engines and tractors...so beware!..wear gloves and maks,and a shop vac might be the wosrt thing to use ,next to compressed air,it ejects the dust everywhere..I wash them out with the hose first,then use air ..
..
hey guys new here but well versed in the problem --- y'all taking about the hanta virus -- it is passed on by the poop and pee left behind ---

:Disgus:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys new here but well versed in the problem --- y'all taking about the hanta virus -- it is passed on by the poop and pee left behind ---
Yes, the hantavius is truly deadly, it is in the excretions, and infection is usually by breathing in contaminated dust.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/index.htm

When cleaning out mice nests I use an N95 dust mask, AND I vacuum out mice nests rather than blow them out with the vacuum cleaner.

The final cleaning was today, first misted down with water to settle any dust, then degreaser and a hard stream of water. Degreaser was just because things were generally cruddy.

I have a few Siberian Huskies that are good mousers. They can't chase mice through small spaces like a cat. They will, however, open up the small space so they can get at the mouse. This often causes much more damage than the mouse could ever do. :ROF:

(BTW, given that I have Sibes, I think that's why I got a Bolens.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Yes, the hantavius is truly deadly, it is in the excretions, and infection is usually by breathing in contaminated dust.
All I have to say is :eek:mg: :hide: :eek:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top