My Tractor Forum banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
No mice, but interestingly enough I caught two moles in the Tomcat traps last night. I didn't know moles had any desire to go inside buildings. I thought they were strictly burrowing animals. I should've taken some pictures.

I definitely prefer these Tomcat snap traps to the classic Victor traps. I haven't caught anything in the Victor traps since I've had the Tomcat traps set up.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
No mice, but interestingly enough I caught two moles in the Tomcat traps last night. I didn't know moles had any desire to go inside buildings. I thought they were strictly burrowing animals. I should've taken some pictures.

I definitely prefer these Tomcat snap traps to the classic Victor traps. I haven't caught anything in the Victor traps since I've had the Tomcat traps set up.
I've been using Tomcats for years. They really are superior and have less chance of launching a mouse as they can't approach it from the back. The bigger rat traps killed that huge male rat I caught. Im super careful after arming the rat sized ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
People have claimed that leaving the hood up on the tractor will help deter them. Since you keep it inside the shed where rain isn't an issue, it would be worth a try.
That actually does work. I had my tractor in a tool garage which also had mice. Had the lid opened, and only once in two years had a mouse try to nest in the tractor, in an area that was obscured. Unfortunately, for the mouse, that was under a spindle cover, and the mouse problem was solved the moment I turned on the PTO to mow....:tango_face_devil:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I caught another mole in one of the tomcat traps last night. Seems odd, I had no idea moles had any desire to go inside of buildings. I set some of the victor traps up outside of the shed too. We'll see if I get anything in them. I've been having an issue with a lot of chipmunks lately. They are too smart for my Havahart trap. If they don't wind up in any of the mouse traps, a pellet gun is the probably the next best option.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I caught another mole in one of the tomcat traps last night. Seems odd, I had no idea moles had any desire to go inside of buildings. I set some of the victor traps up outside of the shed too. We'll see if I get anything in them. I've been having an issue with a lot of chipmunks lately. They are too smart for my Havahart trap. If they don't wind up in any of the mouse traps, a pellet gun is the probably the next best option.
Are you sure they are moles? A shrew looks about like a mole only the size of a mouse.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Are you sure they are moles? A shrew looks about like a mole only the size of a mouse.
I think you might be right. I googled some pictures and I believe what I've been calling moles are actually short tailed shrews.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #129

·
Premium Member
7,756 Posts
I'd like to know how you get a varmint to sit still long and close enough to get it with a 22, let alone a pellet gun???

Mike

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
I'd like to know how you get a varmint to sit still long and close enough to get it with a 22, let alone a pellet gun???

Mike
Didn't you every watch Looney Tunes? Elmer Fudd? You just have to be vewy, vewy, quiet! Lmao

I've had no problems getting squirrels and chipmunks with a pellet gun in the past. Not a BB gun, needs to be a break barrel pellet rifle. With a cheap scope on it, you can pick them off pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
7,756 Posts
Thanks Joe, I needed that laugh!

Mike

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Just thought I'd do a quick update. Since my last post, I've been consistently catching two or three of those shrews every week. There has been a mouse here and there but primarily catching shrews. However since the temps have started to plummet below freezing at night, it's been all mice. Been catching almost one every night. I actually rebaited the traps for the first time (yes I was still catching them on specks of months old peanut butter!) today.

View attachment IMG_20191028_174607160_1573059218332.jpg

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Didn't you every watch Looney Tunes? Elmer Fudd? You just have to be vewy, vewy, quiet! Lmao

I've had no problems getting squirrels and chipmunks with a pellet gun in the past. Not a BB gun, needs to be a break barrel pellet rifle. With a cheap scope on it, you can pick them off pretty easy.
That's good one.:sidelaugh

Over the years I've eradicated squirrels that were destroying our bird feeders with a Diana 34 T06 .177 break barrel air rifle a sporting a 4-16 x 50mm scope. It gets up close & personal with those vermin.
In the past couple of years we have had an over abundance of them; 17 taken last year and 25 this year. :thThumbsU

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
November Update. Still no mice and much fewer spiders. This stuff is working for us. Since July and still not a single one spotted or heard.

Generally we a constantly battling them. I'm also still on the first bottle

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
121 - 138 of 138 Posts