My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the same stuff happen in my shed. Things I tried: mouse/rat traps, d-con, golden malrin dissolved in soda pop, mothballs. Everything but the d-con I could attest too, but d-con probably worked too I guess.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,602 Posts
WE tried several of those "ultrasonic" repellers " in our house about 9 years ago,when we had mice in the house for the first time since it was built in 1977..

I cant say they didn't work,because after we caught several mice in traps,we didn't see any new arrivals for at least 5 years,and that was after I unplugged the one in my bedroom...the things had a red LED that blinked on & off and made a rather loud "click" every few seconds,thing drove me batty after awhile...

I have been tempted to take one of them apart and see if there is anything inside other than the "clicker" and the LED light..I don't think they did much really..maybe I'm wrong,I don't know..

I did have another mouse infestation in 2017,but after catching 6 of them in snap traps,and blocking off a few suspected entry points in the house garage,I have not seen any evidence of them having been in the house since..
I may put some of that pepper around any places they may try sneaking in,in the next month or so,this is when they start looking for a warmer place to nest..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Victor makes an item called a "Tin Cat" it can hold about 20 mice and reloads itself. You just dump it every once in a while. Mine (12 of them) are 15 years old and still working perfect.
Get the one without the window and they should last forever. I paid over $14 each for mine, Amazon has em for $11 (a steal) "PLACE AGAINST ANY WALL" with the opening close to the wall.
The last mouse traps you will ever buy (No need to bait them, but you can if you want)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Cats work great, and they are cool to.
If you got a barn (or shed whatever) you gotta have a cat.
One mans opinion, but its been true forever.

·
Father Deerest
2,684 Posts
Cats work great, and they are cool to.
If you got a barn (or shed whatever) you gotta have a cat.
One mans opinion, but its been true forever.
My problem is, when it's out in the country the cats are raccoon lunch so then I have a bigger problem. Dryer sheets worked for years with no mouse droppings or other issues. Menthol and peppermint oils work pretty good as well but in the cars I can't put that on the carpet or fabric areas.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm definitely a Cat Supporter. Though I've seen no evidence of ours actually catching any mice. Hopefully that's because the mice are just too scared of them, so they stay away. In reality, of course, the mice probably have nothing to worry about, the cats are probably too busy napping.

Lots of great suggestions in this thread, thanks all! I put up a shed this summer, and I don't want them messing with the tractor, so I may proactively implement some of these ideas. Like simple repellents, and maybe bait boxes. Something that could try and deal with any potential critters that might appear, without needing a lot of monitoring.

·
1,742 Posts
My problem is, when it's out in the country the cats are raccoon lunch so then I have a bigger problem.
One cat is no good you need a pair. Together they can handle coons.

I'm down one now... the older feller kicked the can a while back. Suitable replacements being interviewed.

Not easy to find the right one(s)... they kind of have to find you.

·
Father Deerest
2,684 Posts
One cat is no good you need a pair. Together they can handle coons.

I'm down one now... the older feller kicked the can a while back. Suitable replacements being interviewed.

Not easy to find the right one(s)... they kind of have to find you.
"Suitable replacements being interviewed" not to make light of cat owners but that line made me pee a little LOL!! :tango_face_grin::tango_face_grin:

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
My problem is, when it's out in the country the cats are raccoon lunch so then I have a bigger problem. Dryer sheets worked for years with no mouse droppings or other issues. Menthol and peppermint oils work pretty good as well but in the cars I can't put that on the carpet or fabric areas.
I never heard of cats being prey to coons but that doesnt mean its not true, I mean there is a lot of cats in the country but if there were no racoons there might be a lot more as well to.
If dryer sheets work that seems like a great way to go and I'll consider that a lesson learned.

·
Registered
13 Posts
All of the people on Earth combined could never make, let alone sell or use enough traps, zappers or bait to eliminate them all. The best we can do is co-exist and deter.

Stop throwing your money away on gimmicks and learn preventative measures which are probably different for everyone.
Cockroaches will outlive everything....cockroaches and fire ants.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
They sell something that makes (allegedly) a noise that we cant hear that bugs ( no pun intended) the heck out of vermin. Who knows if they work tho.

2,057 Posts
We don't have mice or rats. We carefully store our trash in metal containers but we have chipmunks and rabbits. A red fox was getting them until we installed a privacy fence and he won't come in. The chipmunks have become a nuisance. We have guests come over for a cookout and they dart out onto the patio and scare the elderly. I would trap them with a cage I bought on Northern Tool & Equipment and take them a mile away but they keep coming back. I may get that Rat Zapper.

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
If you trap them and release them a ways away and you think they are coming back, do what my wife did years ago with squirrels. When you have them in the cage paint their claws with bright pink toenail polish before you release them. That way you can tell if it's the same ones coming back each time or if they're new ones. Plus it'll embaress the heck out of the little critters when the other chipmunks make fun of them.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
In New England the mice are looking for a winter home right now. I have watched a mouse in my shed climb straight up a 2x4 and escape out a hole at the top of the door. My working tractors sit outside and mice will fill up a cooling shroud on top of a cylinder in one day. You kill or remove a critter and another one will take its place. Removing the food source is the best way to deter, but not always possible. I have chickens, gardens, and a corn field adjacent to my property, so there will always be varmints.

I have learned that mice only like cozy areas with limited access. If you open up the entrance to the area, it is no longer safe and they move on.

For my Craftsman with Kohler Courage V-twin, just removing the safety guard from the flywheel fan creates a large enough entrance that mice do not find appealing. <--No mice for approximately 4 years now.

For my Ariens Manorway with Briggs opposed twin, I have to remove the shields that cover the cylinder heads. The cooling shroud over the top still directs air down. It's a compromise for sure, but much better than a cylinder getting zero airflow from a nest blocking it.

The John Deere 212 with Kohler K301 has the shield over the cylinder head removed also. <--No mice for approximately 4 years and no issues with overheating.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
We don't have mice or rats. We carefully store our trash in metal containers but we have chipmunks and rabbits. A red fox was getting them until we installed a privacy fence and he won't come in. The chipmunks have become a nuisance. We have guests come over for a cookout and they dart out onto the patio and scare the elderly. I would trap them with a cage I bought on Northern Tool & Equipment and take them a mile away but they keep coming back. I may get that Rat Zapper.
Sounds like you're not hauling them far enough.

"Trapped chipmunks should be relocated several miles from their home site and away from other property"

https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/gardens/animals-and-wildlife/how-to-get-rid-of-chipmunks

41 - 60 of 138 Posts