My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I evicted yet another family of mice that had taken up residence in the engine shroud. Someone suggested mothballs would repel them. It sounded reasonable, moth balls are cheap, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I threw a few in the flywheel fins because that is where the mice usually nest. When I started the engine the moth balls were instantly ground up and blown out the shroud. There was a mist of head-busting naphthalene around the tractor. I shut down the engine and stepped out of the fog until I could see straight.

The flywheel idea was right out.

Then I dropped a few wherever they would settle on and around the engine. It was all good until the hot engine evaporated the things and again there was a miasma of moth balls surrounding the tractor.

Where else was safe? I tossed a handful under the engine where they would not melt. I forgot the Bolens is a tube frame. There was a pile of mothballs on the ground.
:fing20:

Finally I put a few in the front on the little shelf formed by the metal hood and more on the large shelf under the battery. I covered it all up with a tarp figuring they will create a gas cloud under there. I just have to let it air out for a few minutes each time I pull off the tarp.

We'll see if it works.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Try dryer air freshners they work great also and less mess.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,261 Posts
Well Decon works great for me in the storage building where the mowers are stored. Caution, cats and probably other animals will eat Decon with same results.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mothballs are basically solidified ether. Be very careful where you put them. Big fire, no tractor!

My father-in-law used to drop them in the fuel tank of his cars as an 'instant tune-up'. He claimed they worked better than most fuel additives.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I use pure peppermint oil and I mean 100% pure. I find it in origanic food stores in very small bottles. Just one or 2 drops spread out last for years.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Siberian Huskies love to eat mice and I am sure they will appreciate the peppermint flavoring. I will definitely give it a try.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
My Siberian Huskies love to eat mice and I am sure they will appreciate the peppermint flavoring. I will definitely give it a try.
If them dogs get hungry enough they will eat you so don't get none on yourself.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't have mice in the engines, YET, but I think it is only a matter of time, I think I will look for some peppermint oil to try

1 - 10 of 10 Posts