My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I evicted yet another family of mice that had taken up residence in the engine shroud. Someone suggested mothballs would repel them. It sounded reasonable, moth balls are cheap, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I threw a few in the flywheel fins because that is where the mice usually nest. When I started the engine the moth balls were instantly ground up and blown out the shroud. There was a mist of head-busting naphthalene around the tractor. I shut down the engine and stepped out of the fog until I could see straight.

The flywheel idea was right out.

Then I dropped a few wherever they would settle on and around the engine. It was all good until the hot engine evaporated the things and again there was a miasma of moth balls surrounding the tractor.

Where else was safe? I tossed a handful under the engine where they would not melt. I forgot the Bolens is a tube frame. There was a pile of mothballs on the ground.
:fing20:

Finally I put a few in the front on the little shelf formed by the metal hood and more on the large shelf under the battery. I covered it all up with a tarp figuring they will create a gas cloud under there. I just have to let it air out for a few minutes each time I pull off the tarp.

We'll see if it works.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mothballs are basically solidified ether. Be very careful where you put them. Big fire, no tractor!

My father-in-law used to drop them in the fuel tank of his cars as an 'instant tune-up'. He claimed they worked better than most fuel additives.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I use pure peppermint oil and I mean 100% pure. I find it in origanic food stores in very small bottles. Just one or 2 drops spread out last for years.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Siberian Huskies love to eat mice and I am sure they will appreciate the peppermint flavoring. I will definitely give it a try.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
My Siberian Huskies love to eat mice and I am sure they will appreciate the peppermint flavoring. I will definitely give it a try.
If them dogs get hungry enough they will eat you so don't get none on yourself.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't have mice in the engines, YET, but I think it is only a matter of time, I think I will look for some peppermint oil to try

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.