My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the two spots on top of the fuel injector (?) were leaking bad when I got this tractor - I took off the top, but am not 100% sure where a couple of the parts go! I 'll tinker with it - looks straight forward.

I was going to use gasket sealer vs cutting a new gasket - think that'll be OK, or should I use BOTH gasket sealer and a new gasket?

I am assiming the center groove doe not take a new o-ring since it is different size than the other two and there was not one on there when I removed it.

ANy advice on re-assembly/tips/thoughts much welcome!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I hope you took careful note of which holes the spring was in before you removed the top or it will never run right again, some pump guys can tell from the numbers. Do not use gasket sealer, a tiny blob of that in the pump will result in a $600 rebuild. You are right about the O rings.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope - bummer. I was on another tractor site and they said to just pull the cover off and replace the o-rings. No one ever said to "watch where spring goes"- and when I took it off it all came apart! I will simply have to guess. Perhaps someone can give me pointers as to best guess? Jeez... bummer deal. I got her cleaned up & running and mowed about 8 acres or so - then decided to fix the fuel leak.. should have let it leak.... UGH!

·
Registered
128 Posts
You are going to have be extremely lucky to guess that one !!, pity you didn't ask here first i could have given you exact details for doing the job, however the damage is done now. If you have a diesel shop near you, write down the 3 sets of numbers off the tag and they may be able to decipher the code for you, the top number is usually the pump ID, the other 2 are the settings. If you drop me an email i will send you some info on reassembly (click on my username, click on contact info to send email)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, I wil try to decipher the codes - may be too banged up (dang) - tried to take a zoomed in pic, but will have to try again with magnifying glass. Here are couple pics/thoughts:

Best Guess!???

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP SO FAR!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
You seem to have the parts where they should go in your pics in the right order, most of the ones i have done had the pin with the small spring in the center hole of the governer plate and the large spring hooked into the first hole (outer) in the throttle shaft arm.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: MHF35 perkins diesel pump O-rings?

Great, thanks - every little bit helps. I am assuming since it's a gasket that goes on this, and not gasket sealer - that if it does not run right, I simply keep trying "hole" variations until it does run better/best it can eh? MAN I wish I had a fuel shut-off now - maybe I should put one in/on. :banghead3

Thanks Again JJ. Cheers, T.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes i think the fuel shutoff is the first thing i would do, it also has a small filter on it that goes up into the tank, might also be a good time to install new fuel filters whilst you have everything apart

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess what? I goofed up BAD. I got her all back together, and BUSTED (twisted off) one of the two little bolts that hold the cover/top down. You don't even want to know what I yelled, but my boys stopped dead in their tracks.

I am hoping, please tell me yes, that the bolt stem/thing I can get and replace?

HOLY MACARONI!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry i don't have a clue if you can just get another stud and replace it, i think your best bet is to talk to a diesel shop and see what they have to say about it, i have never run into that problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hello, took it back apart. Here is pic of stud and bolt I need.
If you know where to get one please advise, or suggest a fix maybe? I was going to maybe try a piece of all-thread and drill out top hole? good idea or not? Thanks folks, T. OH: QUESTION: why does the bolt have a thin wire going through it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would not use anything but the correct stud, like is said call a diesel shop, you cain't be the only one that has broken one. The wire is to stop the nut falling off it becomes loose and to deter people from taking them apart !!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK,found a tractor salvage yard near Tyler State Park her ein East, TX. Called Christens. Greta lace, great guy. Got my stud, new gasket, fuel filters, etc.

I put both plate & spring in second hole. I put it back together, got the air out of the lines, and it STARTED! So I pulled her out of the shop, drove about 50 yards and she died. Tried to get any more air out of lines, etc.

I took off where the fuel line goes in to the fuel injection pump and tried to crank her, but nothing was coming out of the pump, barely even a drop.

So do you think/I need more advice:

1.) I should try a different plate/spring holes, or

2.) There is stil air in the lines, or maybe even in the filter? (someone mentioned that to me).

The other thing I did was clean & re-fill (with 1 qt. oil) my air bath breather/cleaner box thing. COuld too much oil in there be a problem?

Thnaks in advance for your help. Man do my cows need hay!
:banghead3

·
Registered
128 Posts
There is a fill line on the bowl of the air cleaner.
This is how to bleed the system....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: MF35 perkins diesel pump O-rings?

Thanks! I found a similar article earlier and was out trying to get it running - my son found a penny on heads and gave it to me for good luck. It worked! Got her running! Time will tell if she's OK, but at least she starts, runs, and turns off OK! Plus she's all clean inside and has a fuel shut-off valve now! THANKS for your help!:thThumbsU

1 - 15 of 15 Posts