My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out how to cut the holes on the grille of my MF* for the lights. The lines are there where to cut and are slightly indented, I'm just not sure what tool to use. I've drilled a hole in it and tried a metal coping saw and a rotozip and I don't think that's the way to go. **** sheetmetal is THICK. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
285 Posts
Metal shop,that has a plasma cutter ,can do the trick ! or a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade.My 2 cents jim

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
i would suggest a good quality hole saw and lots of cutting and tapping oil this set up worked great for me while fabricating new body mounts for my brothers ranger using 1/8 inch steel for the mounts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

Mine already has the lights installed but I don't think I would use a plasma torch to cut the holes. The heat would likely damage the decal on the front of the plate. A jig saw with a fine tooth blade and something to support the back side of the panel might work. You don't want to bend the panel when cutting it so take your time.

Brian

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
BI-METAL HOLE SAW!

I cut a couple 2.5" holes in the floor of one of my cars to reach a caged nut inside the frame rail that came loose (control arm).

It was an 18V Ryobi drill and Ridgid/Blu-Mol bi-metal hole saw.

Worked brilliantly.

Make sure you get the center right.

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I'm going to use the hole saw. I already tried the rotozip, metal coping saw, and jig saw, really thick metal. I've got three light kits to do, one for me two for friends so the saw will pay for itself. I'm really busy this week I found a short block for the MF8 for 185.00 with shipping, and I'm also trying to figure out if I can put a Kohler K17hp vtwin in the super clean cub cadet w/ 50 inch deck, I found it for 200 bucks without an engine. I'm also in the middle of one remodel and one new home build. Oh and I'm getting married Friday or Saturday, depends on how soon the fedex guy comes. Really GREAT GAL, she loves my little tractors. Thanks again Mike:thanku:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have cut the plugs out of three hoods with a dremel tool with a one inch reinforced cutting wheel
It worked very well as I cut on the inside of the uncut portion then a pair of pliers took out the last bit
You could hardly tell where the plugs were attached
The hardest part was trying to find the gimp to go around the hole as the headlights are smaller than the hole and if the gimp is too thick the holes are too small
The gimp i first used was of an old seat but the last one was the gimp off a MTD hood
Don

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
there's no good reason to use anything other than a hole saw, unless they made slug busters that big, but then it'd be so bloody expensive...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
there's no good reason to use anything other than a hole saw, unless they made slug busters that big, but then it'd be so bloody expensive...
Hi Coop

These holes are over 4" in diameter. Big hole saw and big trouble if it jams on you with a HD drill on the end of it. I would be worried about bending the remaining part of the panel as the holes are large in relation to the panel.

Take Care
Brian

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I'd use a right angle air powered die grinder, or a straight if it'd work better for you. You will not tear the metal if using a cutoff wheel. I've been using one for a long time to cut just about everything (metal, al, plastic, phenolic etc.) with good results. Have to be cautious of heat/melting plastic however. Cuts come out nice and smooth though with patience. Great for car interior dash pieces etc.

MU

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Hi Coop

These holes are over 4" in diameter. Big hole saw and big trouble if it jams on you with a HD drill on the end of it. I would be worried about bending the remaining part of the panel as the holes are large in relation to the panel.

Take Care
Brian

Fair enough.

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hah, what a hoot, you don't cut them at all, they pop out like a slug on a electrical panel box. I had and tried a 4 inch bi-metal hole saw (1/2 inch short BTW) no go, took it to a plasma cuttin guy and he popped them out with a rubber mallet and a pair of pliers. Kinda of like a chinese puzzle box

1 - 12 of 12 Posts