My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
A Proud MF'er
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my new 2360 snowblower in the fall, and heeding the advice of other owners, ordered a set of shear bolts from the dealer. I have never sheared a bolt on my old blower for the Bolens HT-20 but who knows....

Earlier today, clearing about 3-4" of powder snow at -10ºC I lost the fan action. Ah-ha! Shear bolt! (I thought..) and went to the stash and got the replacement.

Turns out there is another shear point, one not listed in the manual, nor suggested by the dealer when I was getting my shear bolts. It's called a "Fan Shear Plate" and it takes a 1/4" 20 x 1-1/4" grade 5 bolt. Lucky for me, the dealer says it takes a standard bolt of that spec, so I was able to grab a few in town for 60 cents. Funny (not!) that there is no mention of this at all, but it's the first to go.

I'm also thinking that this may only be on newer snowblowers, as the dealer sent me two parts diagrams to make sure I could find it. It was only on one of the diagrams....

Photo below.

IMG-3097.JPG

·
A Proud MF'er
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the question. I'm voting for a factor I never would have suspected if I hadn't contacted the manufacturer to sort out some confusion...

When I came across the fan shear plate, I was confused because the manual that came with my snowblower did not refer to the fan shear plate, but a through-the-shaft shear bolt. This was not the first instance where the manual did not conform with my actual snowblower, and also, when the MF dealer showed a replacement bolt that did not match the OEM bolt, I decided to call the manufacturer for the "straight poop."

First thing I realized once I got talking to the manufacturers tech-support person was that I have an old, out of date user manual. That explains a number of moments of confusion since I got this unit, but the second thing was the shear bolt itself, which got more confusing before it got clearer.

At first, the mfg-tech person insisted that the OEM shear bolt, (which was fully-threaded on the shank, one of two ways a shear bolt creates relief for the shear point, the other being a machined notch) was needed, while the replacement on offer at the dealer is a standard Grade 5 bolt with a 3/8" non-threaded shoulder at the shear point of the fan-shear-plate. I felt I needed to have the confusion between what the mfg installed at the factory and what the dealer was offering as a replacement cleared up for my own peace of mind, and asked the tech support person to check with their engineering people and get back to me.

The response surprised me. They use a fully threaded shank bolt at the factory for ease of assembly, but acknowledge that the bolt offered as the replacement is the proper bolt for the application. They apologized for the initial confusion, and having replaced the OEM bolt with a standard Grade 5 bolt, feel I am ready to clear snow again.

In my estimation, the reason it sheared is because the OEM bolt is not as strong as the replacement and was destined to fail with no more than normal, non-obstructive use in the field.

If I'm wrong, it will not be for a lack of diligence in getting the correct information. (Pic of OEM and replacement bolts below..)
IMG-3098.JPG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts