My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems as though the MF1700 series is a little behind the competition when it comes to the connections. Access to them Isn’t great and reconnecting them can be a real challenge especially when the hand I use has been surgically rebuilt. So, my question-is there’s way to make it easier to connect or is there a different connector available that requires less force to use? Thanks!!

·
A Proud MF'er
78 Posts
I too noticed some difficulty with some of the hydraulic connectors when I got my GC2410 back in May, but realized part of this, in my case, is lack of experience with real hydraulics.

Between the oily connectors and the possibility of slight pressure loading at the valves, along with the restricted access of some (like the inner tractor-mounted connectors for the FEL..) I have had a few that didn't want to go (either on or off..) at first.

I used a channel-lock plier to magnify grip and leverage/access, and I make sure that the valve is relaxed to avoid any pressure issues. It will eventually work and when you get more experience it gets easier.

If there is a chance the connector is dirty and jammed, I'd use WD40 or a spray cleaner to loosen the mechanism.

·
22,023 Posts
Due to the thriftiness of the bean counters, hoses are installed that are the minimum length that will allow function. When the time came for me to replace one of the hoses to the rear of my MF GC2310 that connects the back hoe, I simply made it a few inches longer to allow better access for connecting/disconnecting.

The common disconnects use a collar, which when pulled back, allows the balls that secure the two halves a place to retract to allow disconnect and reconnect. The disconnects for the loader and hoe for my 2310 have collars that move both ways for the same function which allows the operator to push the collar when connecting and pull the collar when disconnecting. That alone makes life simpler.

Another item is to secure the male half of the disconnect with a bracket, or in a component that is secured, so that the operator is only dealing with one loose hose end. The loader valve set on my 2310 is set up like this for removal/installation of the loader. The valve set stays with the tractor while the loader and its cylinder hoses are disconnected.

All quick connects have a spring loaded check valve in both halves that must be compressed in order to connect them. Not much can be done about that, but any pressure build-up behind the checks, such as from the sun warming the cylinders, can be relieved by popping the checks with a mallet and suitably sized bolt or pushing the tip of the male end against a handy bit of tractor.

I hope at least one of these suggestions will work for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent reply. Fortunately I don’t foresee a lot of need to remove the FEL. Channel locks or vice grips will be my friend until there is another solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts