My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love my 1655. good tractor,very heavy duty, but it sat for a few years and now im working the bugs out. I was having trouble starting it so i pulled off the battery terminals and cleaned up around the soleniod. Now with everything hooked back up, the soleniod clicks but wont turn over. Is it a bad starter? or did i hook it up wrong? any help would be appericated. I also have a 4250 tiller and a 54" mower deck. and would love a snowblower. Thanks.

·
22,077 Posts
Welcome to the forum, krazyred70. It's a great place.

I've had a 1655 for 27 years. Super machine.

Since it has sat for a few years, can you turn the engine over by hand? You removed the battery cables and cleaned them, now continue downstream doing the same to the solenoid and the starter (positive side), and the ground (negative side) and the ground strap from the frame to the block. Check voltage at the battery when you try to start (note how much it drops), and at the starter. Is it getting voltage? No? Check the solenoid. I'm a little hazy on the starter motor since I repowered mine to 20 hp (starter on the left side) about 13 years ago, but I remember an issue on one of them grounding out the starter terminal against the frame due to weak motor mounts (I think it was the new engine, but I'm not sure). If it still won't turn over, try a set of booster cables direct from battery to the starter and the block just long enough to prove (A) the starter does turn (the problem is upstream from the starter + or -) or (B) the starter doesn't turn (pull the starter). You'll have your findings (A) or (B) within 2 seconds of making contact with the starter terminal. Put the cables away.

If (B), either corrosion exists between the starter and the block or the starter needs a rebuild. If memory serves me correctly, the shroud around the flywheel has to be dismounted (not necessarily removed) to access the two bolts holding the starter. They go into the rear of the block right close to the flywheel. Once the starter is out, get the booster cables out again for one last try at turning it with the negative clamped on the starter mounting flange. If it turns now, then it's a grounding problem, if it doesn't it's a money issue. Put the cables away, and go to the bank to get a hundred dollar bill.

Sorry if I was too detailed, but I was trying to jog my memory. I've only pulled the starter off my 16 hp Onan once while it was in the tractor, and that was over 20 years ago. Hopefully the problem is in the connections (I'm betting the ground strap) and you don't have to deal with (B), but I figured I better take you all the way, just in case.

The 1655 is a great machine, IMHO, one of the very best. Hope I've helped and you get back tractoring in short order.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. i had the soleniod checked and it works. ill get after the starter as soon as i have time. it was running prior to this episode. this is a great forum and everyone seems very knowledgable. thanks again.
richard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I tested the starter as u said. i got spark but it didnt turn over. so ill attempt to remove the shroud ( it looks like ill have to pull off the belts and pully). i dont have a voltmeter so i cant check that. for some reason i dont think i have the solenoid hooked up right. ill see if i can get a pic.

thanks

·
22,077 Posts
Your welcome. Good luck.

·
Banned
550 Posts
there's a guy that rebuilds starters/altenators/generations a couple a miles away, he charges around 35-20 bucks, might want to find a local shop close by

1 - 7 of 7 Posts