My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MF14 has a lot of slop in the steering, I can turn it a little better than a quarter of a turn before it catches. Where do I adjust this on the steering box and is it easy to get to or do I need to remove a bunch of stuff first? I figure someone here can save me some work with their knowledge. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Those steering sectors are easy to adjust or rebiuld. There's a nut on the bottom that adjusts the bearing load for the shaft bearings and an adjustment on the side for the pin depth. Careful now, the worm gear gets worn more in the middle than the ends so make sure it turns free lock to lock after adjusting the pin. Check your tie-rod ends too, those you just replace not repair or adjust.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Those steering sectors are easy to adjust or rebiuld. There's a nut on the bottom that adjusts the bearing load for the shaft bearings and an adjustment on the side for the pin depth. Careful now, the worm gear gets worn more in the middle than the ends so make sure it turns free lock to lock after adjusting the pin. Check your tie-rod ends too, those you just replace not repair or adjust.

:ditto:

Might I suggest you replace the tie rod ends anyways, and first.
They're cheap enough, and after 30 some years probably due.

On the last steering box I rebuilt, I reshaped the side pin to fit the worm
gear. Just did that on a bench grinder. Made a world of difference.

And grease, grease,grease.

·
Registered
534 Posts
An after thought.

Does your machine have this kit installed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Massey-Ferguson...273?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f4a0a979

It bolts to the triangular plate at the output of the steering box.
Those bolts may also be loose.
If it isn't there, and you're going to the effort of pulling
the box out to rebuild, I would suggest doing the modification.

It makes a difference. One of my 14's has it, and the other not.
Much more responsive with it.

·
Registered
940 Posts
the box is propably the least of your problems, check the ball joints on the tie rods and from the steering box, and the nuts holding then ends onto the angle center,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts