My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,188 Posts
No problem. The loader on my GT is a Wright Way as well, but mine has the self leveling links.

I'm thinking that you will find the hydro/2-speed final drive and extra weight of the MF14 offer a major improvement in operational capability. The extra 4 horses, not so much.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The wrightway on my kubota does have self leveling links :)

and the mf14 has been repowered with a l100 yanmar which is about 10 hp so no power advantage the hydro will be nice. But one disadvantage with the yanmar is its alot louder than the kubota. But both tractors are very fuel efficient.

Also I just found a pulley in my parts pile that fits the yanmar crank it originally came from a sears gt14. My plan is to mount the pump down where the mule drive would have gone.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well ive ran into a minor problem my pump is the wrong rotation for the mount I envisioned so it would end up underneath the front axle :-( So I need to come up with a different pump any suggestions on a particular pump? Needs to be able to run the loader and a backhoe down the road. Im thinking maybe something like 7gpm? Not really sure but what to get but preferably one from princess auto :).

And the subframe is bolted up to the front frame and the rear axle just need to fab two simple mounts and weld them in. Really stoked one how much it lined up with the stock frame holes.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
6,929 Posts
You might see if your pump can be reversed? I believe some can be reversed and you just need to swap ports, others need slightly different parts inside to work in reverse, and then some just can't be...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The webster hydraulic pump I have doesn't appear to be reversible as it says press on one of the ports and the suction port is quite a bit larger than the pressure port. Unless it can be unbolted and a housing flipped im but not sure if thats doable. New pumps are fairly cheap at princess auto so not a big deal if I need to buy another at this point in the build. Heres an few pics of the pump.

·
Super Moderator
23,188 Posts
Turn the pump front to back if there is enough space. That will reverse the drive direction.

Max flow at WOT - 6 gpm,

Flow at working speed (about 2/3 throttle setting) - 4.5 gpm.

Tweak the throttle for comfortable operation speed for the hoe or loader. The same pump will supply both.

Pumps don't care about orientation. Right side up, upside down, angled, it's all the same as long as they have a constant supply of fluid. Port orientation for the application is the important criteria.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well did a bunch of google searching and came up with a spec sheet for the webster yb pumps turns out its a yb43 and doesnt say anything about changing the rotation.

So i guess i will just have to find something with similar specs that can be reversed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just ordered a new pump from princess auto. Went with a concentric gear pump with a .388 displacement its bi rotational and can handle a 150lbs of sideload I already have some pulleys that will get it at about a 1-1 ratio so it should be ok for now might over drive it a bit its rated to 6.7gpm at 4000 rpm with a 1600 psi rating and my little diesel maxes around 3600 but I don't usually like to max rev it because its really loud.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just ordered a new pump from princess auto. Went with a concentric gear pump with a .388 displacement its bi rotational and can handle a 150lbs of sideload I already have some pulleys that will get it at about a 1-1 ratio so it should be ok for now might over drive it a bit its rated to 6.7gpm at 4000 rpm with a 1600 psi rating and my little diesel maxes around 3600 but I don't usually like to max rev it because its really loud.
That's the exact pump I am using in my loader build thread! I would think that pump is about right. We're you able to get it all operational yet?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That's the exact pump I am using in my loader build thread! I would think that pump is about right. We're you able to get it all operational yet?
Its not operational yet still need to get the pump mount figured out. Also I am going to cancel the powersteering because the obital valve I have is just too big to fit in there without cutting up the tractor. This years garden harvest and canning has put this project on hold. However my g3200 kubota custom loader backhoe has what looks to be the same pump (same external dimnesions and mounting but unsure of the exact displacement) and it works the loader and backhoe pretty good. I think its going to be a good choice for a gt loader.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Its not operational yet still need to get the pump mount figured out. Also I am going to cancel the powersteering because the obital valve I have is just too big to fit in there without cutting up the tractor. This years garden harvest and canning has put this project on hold. However my g3200 kubota custom loader backhoe has what looks to be the same pump (same external dimnesions and mounting but unsure of the exact displacement) and it works the loader and backhoe pretty good. I think its going to be a good choice for a gt loader.
Thanks for the update! The pump mount can definitely be tricky on some tractors, hopefully you've got an easy spot to mount to.
I picked up a JD 318 orbital valve for mine too, I'll eventually cut mine apart to make it work.
Good to know that the Kubota pump works good..

·
Registered
123 Posts
I loved the Kubota project. This one's great too!!

Air cooled engines and noise.. air cooled engines have to have a ton of surface area (fins, etc) to shed heat to the air. Unfortunately, while they don't vibrate any more than a liquid-cooled engine, the incredible difference in surface area makes them MUCH louder as 'speakers' when they vibrate and transmit that as noise to the air over their much larger surface area!

Pretty sure i'd trade away some cool stuff to get an engine like that.. If i had it id use it too! Watching this with great interest..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks for the update! The pump mount can definitely be tricky on some tractors, hopefully you've got an easy spot to mount to.
I picked up a JD 318 orbital valve for mine too, I'll eventually cut mine apart to make it work.
Good to know that the Kubota pump works good..
Pump mount should be fairly straight forward I just need to do it lol! Where did you score that 318 orbital valve? I see them on ebay but there pretty pricey and shipping to canada is $$. The valve that I have is a big one from a ransomes fairway mower it was a 5000 lb machine with 4cyl kubota Diesel but just a little to big for the mf 14 without chopping out eveything under the dash. Figured I would try the Armstrong steering first.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I loved the Kubota project. This one's great too!!

Air cooled engines and noise.. air cooled engines have to have a ton of surface area (fins, etc) to shed heat to the air. Unfortunately, while they don't vibrate any more than a liquid-cooled engine, the incredible difference in surface area makes them MUCH louder as 'speakers' when they vibrate and transmit that as noise to the air over their much larger surface area!

Pretty sure i'd trade away some cool stuff to get an engine like that.. If i had it id use it too! Watching this with great interest..
yeah the noise is a trade off for the efficiency of the little diesel. Its so good on fuel hrs per litre its probly ten times as efficient as the kohler 14 it had originally!

·
Rebuilding my First JD GT
3,375 Posts
I like the looks of that MF14. Are those rare and difficult to find, are they about as rare as it is to find a loader for these beloved little workers?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I like the looks of that MF14. Are those rare and difficult to find, are they about as rare as it is to find a loader for these beloved little workers?
Yeah the styling is similar to that of the mf135 tractor. Pretty rare machines they were only made form 72-76. This is the only one I have seen in person but they do come up on craigslist from time to time. Theres two for sale right now in on cl in bc a 14 and a 16.

·
Super Moderator
23,188 Posts
Pump mount should be fairly straight forward I just need to do it lol! Where did you score that 318 orbital valve? I see them on ebay but there pretty pricey and shipping to canada is $$. The valve that I have is a big one from a ransomes fairway mower it was a 5000 lb machine with 4cyl kubota Diesel but just a little to big for the mf 14 without chopping out eveything under the dash. Figured I would try the Armstrong steering first.
I ran my MF1655 for 24 years, (22 with the loader) and armstrong steering with up to 1250 lb in the bucket. You learn a few tricks when the payloads get heavy, but there is no problem when the payload is less than about 750 lb . . . but you better have strong arms or keep the workouts short.

Either upgrade the tie rod ends or keep a supply of the originals handy. Your arms aren't the only things that take a beating with a loader.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow, that'll turn it! Not sure how well the arms will do lol

I picked mine up on eBay, It looks like new. I made a offer and got it for $70CAD +$12 shipping. I consider that an excellent deal!

It won't be an easy installation though. Its a spline input, so I'll have to find a shaft that will work. Also, the ports are not threaded, it looks like it must use o-rings on the hydraulic tubing, and a flange that holds them in(was not included)...so I'll have to make the flange plate and see if I can make the hydraulics seal. Apparently it's unique to John Deere:alien:

·
Super Moderator
23,188 Posts
It won't be an easy installation though. Its a spline input, so I'll have to find a shaft that will work. Also, the ports are not threaded, it looks like it must use o-rings on the hydraulic tubing, and a flange that holds them in(was not included)...so I'll have to make the flange plate and see if I can make the hydraulics seal. Apparently it's unique to John Deere:alien:
A set of taps will fix that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
A set of taps will fix that.
I'm afraid its not that simple, they are only about 3/8" maybe 1/2" deep ports so I can't use my taps. I could get bottoming taps but I don't want to risk getting any metal in there.

Not a big deal to make up the plate and lines.. just extra work, and less risk..

21 - 40 of 40 Posts