My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got back to work on my neighbors tractor a bit tonight... I picked up a free small Honda battery today and it's a perfect fit. (Just about the same one in my tractor) So with that in, I played around with the belt adjustment and got it working good. I also swapped his Kohler carb back on and it seemed to fix many running issues with the carb from the other motor.

Anyway, the next big thing that needs to be looked into is the leaking rear axle. I "think" she's leaking at the center seam. Can anyone tell me just how bad it is to replace this gasket? Is it something that the oil can be drained, loosened, and then a new gasket slipped in (Maybe cut at the top so I can mate the two ends at the top, or just silicon?)

Or, is this something that needs to be fully torn down? I have his junk tranny in the old tractor that I can "practice on" and maybe even fix... The PO welded steel plates to the axle shafts so it needs new axles and the shifter is shot as well... So what am I looking to get into here? :Stop:

·
Registered
534 Posts
How bad is it leaking?
is it just seeping out or ******* out.
On alot of our equipment, we find seals leaking after sitting
unused for a while. They will sometimes swell and reseal
with use after a week or two. Get one of those oil absorbent
diapers, and strap it around the axle, and see what happens.

Last year my mf1450 left axle seal was leaking.
I've tightened the axle nut, and driven it. Not leakin any more.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Is it a gear drive or a Hydro?

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry guys, it's a gear axle, not hydro. It's a pretty decent leak and will leave drops within a minute or two of being parked. I have had a pile of speedy dry under it while it's in my shop. Not bad enough that you can't use it, but bad enough to repair it. Good idea with the pads, but this is a big boy tractor and I don't think diapers is the answer he is looking for. LOL

The other thought, if the axles are easy to swap... I could pull the axles out of the good (but leaking) axle and install them and the shifter into his old one that does not leak. It will take cutting the axle ends off to do this though. I still can't believe someone removed the hubs and welded steel plate to the ends of the axles.... :banghead3

·
Registered
524 Posts
You would have to split the cases to replace the axles. I see no reason why you couldn't split the case maybe 1/4" and clean and reseal. as long as it is not pulled so far as to start pulling gear shafts out. that would take probably 3/4 to 1". Mine after it's rebuild has no gasket, just a thin silicone layer.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Drain the oil, stand it on 1 end with the wheel on, remove the other wheel, hub, shifter and split the case, clean the surface's and RTV it back together.
The hard part is lining up the 2 shifter shafts (needle nose pliers's works)
This is what I did, the side with the bolt heads on is the up side.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ya I believe so. I used normal gear oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts