My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still call it a MF-8, even though it has a brand new Tecumseh 10 hp engine; the hood decals still say eight. Maybe I can catch some poor Craftsman at the light, him thinkin I'm just a worn out cast iron 8hp Junker, when in reality I'm sportin a new hi-performance 10hp Hydro under the hood. What started out as a minor tune-up early this evening turned into a down to the frame tear down and rewire, repaint and restore project. I have the little tractor stripped down to the engine sitting on the frame and a rolling chassis, not bad for under four hours work. Tomorrow I pick up the new ignition switch for the new lights. I already punched out the slugs for the lights, bought the sealed beams and rubber gaskets to hold them in place. I'm putting in the cigarette lighter option while I have the dash off and will install a new ammeter. I'd like to get a digital one that also shows hours and RPM, but we'll see what they have. I've got all the body pieces sanded and ready to be primed, I'm even pulling the decals and buying all new. I had a little fender straightening to do tonight and minor body work on the hood and seat pan, but it's ready to prime tomorrow. I bought new spark plug, air filter, and fuel filter, deck belt, and crankcase oil. I saw a little chrome 4 1/2 inch air breather at O'Reilly's, just like we used to put on our Hot Rods, I'm just dyin to put one on. Oh and BTW, I'm using that stuff they use to wrap a water heater with for my under the hood insulation, it looks real good, and my 3M spray adhesive should hold it good. I need to call the Massey dealer for the decal kit, and go over there and get my red and silver paint, soon I'll be bleedin it. Pictures to come in the morning. Mike

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's some pics. I guess I cant help but tear things apart. I've got to work for a couple of days to pay a few bills, so this project may take a day or two longer

Attachments

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Sounds like you're doing some serious overhauling on that machine Mike, best of luck and :thanku: for the pics :fing32: .

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

Looks good. My 8 is in boxes right now. The frame is primed and I am cleaning parts and priming them. I hope to have the wheels back on sometime this month. I noticed that some of the parts don't appear to have been primed at the factory. The front grill for instance- paint peeled right off the back side of it and bare metal underneath. Keep sending us pictures.
One thing I would like to see if you get a chance - would be a picture of the under side of the rear deck/fender. Mine looks like it is rusted out near the holes for the pivot rod that holds the rear of the seat to the frame. I can't tell what it should look like.

Cheers
Brian

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still have to wire up the lights, new ammeter, new ignition, and battery, as well as doing the actual tune up I started. Pic of under the fender for JDBrian

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

The tractor looks great. Thanks for the pictures. I still can't see the area I'm concerned about on my 8. I'll try to post a picture of the area. It is right at the lower corner where the back of the fender assy meets the sides. On mine they don't meet and I can't tell if it rusted out or it is just rusted at the edges. A picture will clear up what I mean.
One question: Did you use Massey red or a substitute? I am having trouble getting Massey Red. The dealer (1.5hrs. drive from me) won't order it in seperately claiming that he has to order 200lbs of "chemicals" in order to get paint and when he gets it in stock it sells out fast. I think i will try to match the paint under the hood with an automotive spray paint which I can get locally.

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you have a tractor supply near you they have massey red in the spray cans. I don't know if you want to go that route or not but it is an option.

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
most paint stores either have the formula or can match most implement colors. My paint store here is Anchor Paint, they actually invented latex premixed paint in the early 50s. They have a factory mixed color (way better) in their oil based industrial line called Bright Red, and I cant tell it from Massey Red. I used it, $9 quart, with hardener and naptha for thinner/reducer. My Massey dealer charges $27 for a quart, $11 for a can of spray, so other than the Flint Grey, I'll stick with my paint store. I finally got my MF-8 Parts Book, around 90 pages, almost indispensable. I put it in my 3 ring binder with the Owner, Service, and Engine Manuals, BTW, I use the wife's hair dryer to soften the black bindings on the manuals to remove the bindings, much easier to actually use them. I see a lot of guys that use the bright silver mist aluminum on everything, sure it's easier, but I don't like the look, and other than the paint brand I'm trying to keep everything stock.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

I got the MF flint grey from the dealer but he never has the Red in stock. It's like 75 miles or so to the nearest dealer so I am looking for other options on the red. Thanks for the info.

Brian

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Almost done, just a little electrical work to wire the headlight to the new switch. I'll get some pics of the under side for you tomorrow. Mike

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts