My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all. Haven't posted here before but I'd like some help. I spoke to a guy who's sellin an MF-7 Hydro. Original Tec motor which runs good, sheet metal is straight and it has a deck and blower.

He was tellin me the mower deck throws a belt after 20 feet or so of cutting. He believes it you messed with the set screw and applied some heat and moved it (pulley) over "some" it would probably be just fine. Not having seen it I'd like to get your opinion on what might be going on there.

What I'd like the mower for is mowing a half acre, hauling dirt/sod/mulch and for fun. I could cut the grass and pretend I'm back on a bigger massey at my buddy's farm vs mowing lawn in suburbia. :)

Its listed for $350 for the works. I don't mind wrenching on something but want to know if the above mower problem represents huge headaches. Also, its an hour away.

Thanks!

yardwork - aka Matt

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Good afternoon all. Haven't posted here before but I'd like some help. I spoke to a guy who's sellin an MF-7 Hydro. Original Tec motor which runs good, sheet metal is straight and it has a deck and blower.

He was tellin me the mower deck throws a belt after 20 feet or so of cutting. He believes it you messed with the set screw and applied some heat and moved it (pulley) over "some" it would probably be just fine. Not having seen it I'd like to get your opinion on what might be going on there.

What I'd like the mower for is mowing a half acre, hauling dirt/sod/mulch and for fun. I could cut the grass and pretend I'm back on a bigger massey at my buddy's farm vs mowing lawn in suburbia. :)

Its listed for $350 for the works. I don't mind wrenching on something but want to know if the above mower problem represents huge headaches. Also, its an hour away.

Thanks!

yardwork - aka Matt
Hi

Some things to check. If the motor mounts are worn the motor will move under load and the short belt to the implement drive will come off. The engine can actually tilt to the belt side if the mounts are shot. Some of these have rubber mounts and some don't. You can visually check the pulley alignment to see if it is lined up OK.
Check the wheel spindles if you can. Mine were shot and they are hard to find. I ended up making new ones.
I just finished stripping mine down for a restore and these little tractors are well made. If any of the drive hardware is worn you should be able to repair or make a part. The hydro unit is the one part that may be difficult to repair. Others on this forum may be able to give you more info on hydro issues.
Keep in mind that the deck is tiny by modern standards at 34".
You can look at a parts breakdown if you go to agcopartsbooks.com and look up the model 7. This will give you some idea of how it is put together.

Cheers
Brian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts