My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People---Been a long time since I visited this site but now that I am retired I hope to be a regular visitor....Question I want to toss out to you 1855 people is this...I am possibly in a position to purchase a mf 1855 tractor with belly mower, snow thrower, cultivator disc, plus other accessories which do not come to mind as I write this thread. Could anyone enlighten me as to how much is a fair price to pay for this package. I have looked at the machine and accessories and it is in fairly good shape...It is and has been garage kept but not in use for several years. I did notice some leakage in and around the rear pto area.--I would definitely appreciate some in-sight on this. Would it be a wise decision to purchase this and go into the restore mode since I now have the time to put forth... Thank you--Njtomo10

·
22,326 Posts
$1000 - $2000, with that list of attachments. Maybe a bit more depending on the "other accessories". You already have the biggies with the rear PTO and 3PH.

Definitely a candidate for restoration! It's already 35 years old and a full resoration will give your grandson one awesome GT for anything he wants to do when he buys a home.

The leakage is from the final drive (rear end). Check the bolts holding the case together. The PTO uses sealed bearings.

Keep us in the loop!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Let me add that I've owned a bunch of tractors from MTD to Pennsylvania Panzers, this hands down the best I've ever had for function, including the new ones I had. The size, power and reliability as well as weight, makes it a real workhorse. When you get on it and move it you know it's a machine, not a toy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for coming to my aid with price info----I am now going to enter into a little price negotiation . The individual is looking more in the $3000. range...Don't know if I want to go that high since I have been reading that replacement parts may be hard to come by...The machine looks to be in very good condition as well as the accessories. Has not been started in several years nor has it left the garage.......Will keep all informed as to how negotiations progress......Tks---Njtomo10

·
22,326 Posts
Take the covers of the mower deck drive and inspect the drive sprocket cogs. They should be square. If they are knife edged, they're worn out and replacements are very difficult to find. They are a minimum $100 each and usually $150 if you can find them. My understanding is that the belts are also rare. That may be a good negotiating point.

Some owners have modified the decks to use a more conventional v-belt arrangement by moving the center spindle ahead and using longer blades to provide overlapping coverage as do most 3 blade decks, but you don't have to tell the seller about that.

If it's been sitting for a few years, will it start and run long enough to drive onto your trailer? These beasts weigh over 1100 lb without an implement attached to either the 3PH, the belly, or the front. If the tires are loaded, that can add upwards of 200 lb. Driving it on with attachments installed is much preferrable to winching it on and loading (and unloading) attachments by other means. Another negotiating point.

Is it worth $3000? To get a new tractor of equal capability today will cost 5 figures, plus attachments, but will include a warranty and availability of replacement parts for at least a few years. There are precisely zero new $5000 tractors in its class, with or without attachments.

So yes, it is worth $3000. Would I pay that much? Not unless the extra accessories included something really spectacular.

Randy, I paid $6500 for my first 1655 in 1982 when it was 5 years old. That included a Pronovost 48" 2-stage snowblower, a MF4850 48" tiller, a Brinly 5' backblade, and a new cab. I added a $450 FEL 2 years later. I paid $650 for my second 1655 with only a mower just 2.5 years ago. I also have a 6 year old, $20000 MF2310 TLB. If I could only have one heavy tractor, I would regret losing the backhoe, but the 1655 w/FEL would still be here.

Brand new in 1977, when they first came out, a MF1655 cost $3175 off the showroom floor in Canada, with no attachments or accessories. The 1855 cost an extra $200 +/-.

Njtomo10, I hope that gives you some insight.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I knew the first time I saw it that I was looking at a real tractor and not a heavy duty mower based unit or even a small frame garden tractor, these are real machines! It's the equal of John Deere or anyone's tractor in the class. $3000 in 1977 when mine was built would equate to roughly $12k now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gee thanks Tudor----that info really will be an asset for me when I negotiate with the owner.....I am also inquiring about one in Okla. thru e-mails but the individual does not seem to respond... either it is sold or he does not visit his thread regular...of course I might add he posted it in March and I just came across his post the other nite----nbjtomo10

1 - 8 of 8 Posts