My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a year old 1739e, It seemed like the DPF was cycling fairly often at first, but it was something new to me last year. Mid summer, it began with a ECU light, and the DPF would not stop flashing, then started beeping, then began shutting off after about a minute. Took it into the shop, they cleared the issues, but less than 10 hours of use, it has begun again.
Called the shop, they said to let it sit idle for 20-30 minutes at around 1,000 rpm, I let it run 45, and nothing changed, still beeping, has not gone to the shut off point yet.

Is there something I should or should not be doing? Pretty much a rookie still. Love the tractor when it is running, but do not think I should be having this much trouble with a new tractor (really the reason I bought a new one and stopped trying to buy a used one (3 previous failed buys of used))

I only have 168 hours on this one

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Welcome to MTF.

So, basically, these new tractors fitted with these emissions control systems, need to be run hard and with high RPMs. Somewhere around 1800 to 2200 RPM.

The high RPMs will create the necessary heat to keep the DPF happy, however, in cold climates, this might not be enough. Putting a good load on the engine like a mower, roading the tractor in high gear for some time or other PTO implement that will require some serious power.

Idling the tractor won't help any, it will actually plug the DPF even faster. Most problems of these Emissions systems come from bad info from the dealers, therefore the owners will do things that the DPF doesn't like.

I don't know if you can force the Regen manually or not, but once the tractor is fully warmed up and running on high RPMs will considerable load, it should start the regen process automatically.

Also, try this forum as there more owners of MFs there that can help you or at least give you advice to prevent future issues: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/massey-ferguson-owning-operating/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to MTF.

So, basically, these new tractors fitted with these emissions control systems, need to be run hard and with high RPMs. Somewhere around 1800 to 2200 RPM.

The high RPMs will create the necessary heat to keep the DPF happy, however, in cold climates, this might not be enough. Putting a good load on the engine like a mower, roading the tractor in high gear for some time or other PTO implement that will require some serious power.

Idling the tractor won't help any, it will actually plug the DPF even faster. Most problems of these Emissions systems come from bad info from the dealers, therefore the owners will do things that the DPF doesn't like.

I don't know if you can force the Regen manually or not, but once the tractor is fully warmed up and running on high RPMs will considerable load, it should start the regen process automatically.

Also, try this forum as there more owners of MFs there that can help you or at least give you advice to prevent future issues: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/massey-ferguson-owning-operating/
Interesting thing is, I run a 6' brush hog at high RPM's and it was when it began happening. In fact, have pretty much run it almost all the time at 2,500rpm's. Now, it won't go above 1,800 while the beeping is happening. Been moving full buckets of mulch (I got about 330 yards from chipdrop) so been burying the bucket into the heaps. I am thinking that maybe if I hit the heap in turtle instead of snail, maybe that will load it more?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Oh then disregard what I said.

You may have some more serious problems with the DPF. It probably needs a forced regen that can only be done by the dealer.

Try post your issue on that forum I suggested. Hopefully can help you more than me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh then disregard what I said.

You may have some more serious problems with the DPF. It probably needs a forced regen that can only be done by the dealer.

Try post your issue on that forum I suggested. Hopefully can help you more than me.
Thank you. I did just sign up and will do just that.

Your time and effort are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ran it for an hour with it running at 1800 (fast as it will run right now) and still nothing! Still beeps, still shows needs to regen. I will call the shop in the morning and set up a time to take it in. My opinion, it needs a new ECU, but getting frustrated with it. I am still waiting on getting approved at the other forum

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I am glad to have seen this post. I was planning to look over a GC1725M at a rather large AG Show on Friday of this week. My son keeps telling me that I need a bigger "new" tractor to do heavy work with, but I am really looking at something to replace an ageing 8-N Ford. I already have several "bigger" machines, but I could use a nicer "go to" machine with a loader on it.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I am glad to have seen this post. I was planning to look over a GC1725M at a rather large AG Show on Friday of this week. My son keeps telling me that I need a bigger "new" tractor to do heavy work with, but I am really looking at something to replace an ageing 8-N Ford. I already have several "bigger" machines, but I could use a nicer "go to" machine with a loader on it.
Under 25 HP, there is no Emission systems on tractors so it should be a very trouble free tractor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts