My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I recently joined MTF but have been following many of your threads for some time. I’m in a bit of a pickle and could really use some knowledgeable advice. By Friday, I plan on purchasing a new compact tractor and have it narrowed down to 2 brands of red; a Case Farmall 40 or Massey Ferguson 1533, both with FEL and back hoe. Here’s the dilemma, I would prefer to go with the MF 1533 but believe it or not, I can pick-up the Case 40 for $5,000 less. So, with that being said, I now put the question into the hands of, you experts: how does the 1500 series compare to the farmall’s and what would be your suggestion and/or recommendation?

To help, I have 50 acres of predominately rock and woodland. Uses would include but not limited to; clearing trail, skidding logs (8’ length, avg 14” dia.), clearing snow, digging drainage, landscaping, etc. The final selling feature of the MF over the Case was less plastic, the MF is all steel (fenders, shroud, etc). I’m not sure how long the plastic fenders and shroud of the case would last in the bush, during winter.

Thanks, I look forward to your ideas and suggestions.

·
Registered
359 Posts
About 10hp difference ,both should be easy to get parts for. but 5k less ? Is there a problem with the 40 . Are the hour meters close in the same amount of rum time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, walterboatwright
No problem with the 40, both are new machines with 0 hours. So I figured if there were any unknown issues with the Farmall then it would be covered under warranty. One thing I did notice, the FEL was dated 2008 but I wasn't able to ask the saleman why a new unit had and older loader installed on it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
it sounds like the Farmall has been sitting for a while and they have a newer model to sell, therefore they marked the one you are looking at down to a lower price

·
Registered
465 Posts
What trans does the Case have --- and the MF? Case is coming out with a CVT trans that may make dealers want to get rid of hydros and shuttles. The MF has only a 3 cylinder engine -- I prefer the 4 cylinder in the Case.

When I purchased my Case, the MFs were definitely cheaper than the Case product. You don't mention the prices but something "ain't right" here. Are you sure the MF isn't 5K cheaper? If you're correct about the prices, either the MF is waaaay overpriced or the Case has been stolen:thThumbsU

I've had the forward motion of my Case stopped by a tree hitting one of those plastic fenders --- hardly left a scratch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JFordBronco - yes, you are correct, it has been sitting for a while and they do want to get rid of it.

Larry, the MF is going to run me about $32,500.00 Canadian and the Case is about $29,000.00 Canadian. I got the MF dealer to drop a little and throw in a block heater and snow blower. Other than that, they won't budge anymore. The MF is shuttle and the Case is HST. Both have comparable loader and back hoe.

I need to make up my mind later today and still am unsure. MF - I like the metal exterior, the additional implement, the shuttle and the tighter loader for manoeuvring around trees and other obstacles. Case - I like the extra hp at a lower cost.

Thanks for your help guys.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Tough decision to make and what ever you decide on make sure you post plenty of pics of it and give us a good review after you've had the chance to use it. slkpk

·
Registered
264 Posts
I know I know, get the red one : )

·
Registered
359 Posts
Here is another angle ,parts support.Since CNH-Fiat has dropped Shibaura line for LS will the parts and support be there. Myself the MF looks preferable but for the price difference for the Case 40. I also would prefer the hydro over the shuttle. And I would never have a use for a snow blower.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...I said Friday would be the day, so...

I chose the red one!! ha

Seriously though, I decided to go with the Massey Ferguson 1533! I dealt with the owners of both dealerships, the guy selling the Case was annoying and simply, something didn’t seem right, so I went with my gut. But not before using the Case as a bargaining tool. The staff, along with the owner, at the Massey dealership was extremely helpful and was pleasing to negotiate with. To cover some of the difference they managed to knock the price down $2500.00 and after a while, once their patience was running thin, they also threw in a snow blower, grading blade, block heater and free delivery 120kms away. With that being said, all in all, I believe I didn’t get the best deal between the Case and MF but I do believe I made a good deal. I’ll populate some pics once the tractor is in the yard.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

·
Registered
264 Posts
good job on getting the red one : ) You'll like the MF, I love mine!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts