My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tried mowing the grass with the 14, All it did was spit and sputter and backfire pretty bad? Was Never really picking up RPM, and would fluctuate a lot,
Would practically shut down when I put the Mower on?
Water in the Gas or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
My 16 seems to have very little power when the deck is on also?
Any reason why?

·
22,756 Posts
For the 14, backfiring through the carb is a timing issue, through the muffler it's a carb problem. At least that's what they taught in school a couple of centuries ago. (Feels like it anyway.)

For the 16, I'll make a WAG that it's a carb problem. Maybe. :hide:

·
Registered
940 Posts
baseline it
compression test
new fuel filters
tune up plug points condenser
esp if you dont know when it all was done last, i mean that things 30 some years old who knows

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
baseline it
compression test
new fuel filters
tune up plug points condenser
esp if you dont know when it all was done last, i mean that things 30 some years old who knows
Ditto. I sure don't have any power issues with my 1650, in fact I turn the mower on at a fast idle and then throttle up.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
That would be a good time to adjust the valves too, these ole Kohler K's had adjustable lifters actually, it's not hard to do and they rarely need adjustment but if you don't know when it was last done, now is a good time, along with the tune-up parts. My 1450MF is used as a shop push tractor moving disabled vehicles around and has more power than it needs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts