My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started taking my Kohler motor apart to replace the governor cross shaft and looking at the pto looks like there is a friction disk that is brittle and falling off.Is it bonded to the wires?What do you guys recomend?
Thanks,Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:sorry1: Just re-read my post and it is confusing.I was talking about the electric pto implement clutch on the front of the motor.I took it off when I was pulling the motor to do other work.The rear half of the pto,the one that the switch wire is connected to,has what looks like a friction disk and that is what was brittle and breaking off.
Digital camera? I just asked a ? about a 35 year old tractor:)
Thanks,Bob

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The electromagnet part has no disc attached, but has a metal disc that rides just above & around the electromagnet part. The electromagnet transfers the magnetism through the air to the first disc. When the magnet is energized & magnetizes this disc, it attracts the front metal disc to it & engages the drive. I cannot see these discs chipping off, but then there's always something new to see. That's why I was wondering if you could post a pic to be sure.
Now the electromagnet itself....the coil pack of wires is sealed in an epoxy & I have seen this epoxy crack & chip out. I had one that chipped out so bad that I refilled with epoxy glue because the coil assembly was becoming loose in the metal backing. Maybe this is what is chipping?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.It may be the epoxy,I'll look at it more tommorrow.I know a pic would be good,maybe I can have one of my kids do it.
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
You're right Olcow,It is the epoxy.Almost all of it is lose.What did you use to re-epoxy it?
Bob
2-part high strength epoxy in the syringe style tubes, Walmart or most any auto store will have it. Mix well, then work into the cracks/crevices. Oh...clean all GOOD first. Scrub with dishwash liquid water & a brush & let dry, then epoxy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts