My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pur this withn loader that was no good striped unit down painted put together replacine engine with preditor . problem pulley on trans lose shaft is 1 1/8 long pulley hub is1 1/2 deep shaft 1/2 still in hub set screw will not hit key way and pulley lose pulley is 7 1/4 dia pic
any ideas

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
Maybe take out the set screw and see what's up in the hole? The pulleys I have with set screws have nothing stopping them from screwing all the way through to the center (so it comes out in the center if you keep screwing it in when not on a shaft).

And it might just be the angle of the picture, but it looks like the key isn't sticking out very far. Maybe check it out to see if it's been worn off or perhaps is the wrong size key for the application.

·
22,888 Posts
Turn the pulley around with the hub next to the seal and move the engine sideways to compensate for the pulley offset.

Another option since the pulley is bolted to the hub is to unbolt it and move it to the other side of the hub flange and slot the engine mount holes to accommodate the offset.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fliping the pulley around will not work have all the other pulleys has varrey drive I cleaned out the threads again and got the set screw to contact the shaft holding now ?
Next problem trying to install preditor 13 hp engine some one posted awhile back that they did it need to make new mounting holes looks like engine not in same location may need to cut some sheet metal so engine can move back 2 mor in ?any feed back need to get a bushing to fit shaft 1 in to engine pulley which is a slightly larger shaft on old engine? it was mention they make some thing like that?

·
22,888 Posts
The beauty of V-belt drives is that, while they are most efficient when the pulleys are properly aligned, they will tolerate some misalignment, otherwise mower decks would have big problems when raised and lowered with the blades running.

I did suggest that the engine be shifted sideways to ensure alignment with the pulley flipped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts