My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to get a metal hood for a GT2554? While cutting today, (mind you it was in the upper 90's to around 100 in MO today) I began noticing black carbon like on my deck so I stopped and checked it out........the heat from the motor/exhaust was begining to melt my hood/grill! I'll try to get some pics up afterwhile, it was actually kind of frightening. The pliability of the hood/grill when I stopped was so that I believe it would soon have melted and caused it to burn!

·
Registered
275 Posts
What year is your GT2554? There's been a number of design changes that Cub has implemented over the past few years including a heat shield around the exhaust to prevent this.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
A stock 3pc metal hood (used up to 2005) will not fit a 2006+ 2K series Cub. The 2006+ has a totally different firewall/dash, exhaust and attachment points on the frame, just to name a few differences.

Joel

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 2006.........figures...........LOL!

Well, took the grill out and got the latch to where it will at least hold down the hood decently. This really sucks though. Never had any problems with this thing until today.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's a 2006.........figures.
I don't believe the 2006's came with the heat shield. (Here's a picture of it.) I don't know if this was covered in any recall or not, but you might want to contact Cub Cadet about the issue. I've heard of other people getting the heat shield installed on theirs.

This might be want you want to look into instead of a whole new hood assembly, that is if you don't already have this on your tractor.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I've thought about a metal hood a lot.... I know one could be custom fabricated for a factory look, but for how much? $$$$$$$$ It would require stronger lifts too. Maybe someone out there knows the guys at OCC. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't believe the 2006's came with the heat shield. (Here's a picture of it.) I don't know if this was covered in any recall or not, but you might want to contact Cub Cadet about the issue. I've heard of other people getting the heat shield installed on theirs.

This might be want you want to look into instead of a whole new hood assembly, that is if you don't already have this on your tractor.
Thanks for the pics Eric;:trink39:

After looking, I do have part of that shield but it does not go down nearly as far as yours. Mine stops up a LOT higher on the engine. The lower area on the grill/hood is where all the melting took place where your shield is.

It is a 2006 model though so that is puzzling. I had thought last night about contacting CC.......at this point with a 4 year old machine do you believe they would do anything though?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
There is a service kit for that...

Call MTD, it's supposed to be a "recall" request this...
P5190090 (Medium).JPG

·
Registered
443 Posts
I mowed yesterday at about 14:00. It was about 115 with the heat index. No problem with my 2542. I mentioned in another thread that I did install exhaust wrap to the entire exhaust system. Had to help but I don't know how much.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I mowed yesterday at about 14:00. It was about 115 with the heat index. No problem with my 2542. I mentioned in another thread that I did install exhaust wrap to the entire exhaust system. Had to help but I don't know how much.
Yup I remember when you did that about a year ago...I really didn't think it would work. but I'm pleased to hear it did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts