1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Tractor Nerd
3,237 Posts
I have a older model, that is about 15 years old. It has cut a lot of iron and gone through a lot of blades. I would not be afraid to buy another. Mine was a little weird when it comes to adjusting the vise, so that it cut straight. After changing the bolts, it's worked good since. No slop in it at all, and holds it's position over multiple cuts.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have the Harbor Freight version of that saw. It works great. I've cut a lot of steel and aluminum on it. The stand on the HF model is a bit flimsy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I made a couple of clothes line poles and payed a few dollars for this HF saw that was used in a hardware store. The tin stand was horrible. I would never trust it to support even the empty saw. So, I made a more sturdy stand.

If room was available, I'd attach it to a good bench top, but this works well. I used the original wheels.

Ray

Attachments

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
954 Posts
There are lots of threads around with tuneup tips and modifications. Google "hf bandsaw mods". Mine works fine with a good blade.

·
close enuff works for me
3,051 Posts
That saw has been sold under at least 6 different names over the years ,, my saw is a DAYTON was manufactured in 1983 . Purchased it used a few years back ,put a new blade on it and good to go.:thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
Hi All,
Those saws all look like the metal cutting band saw that was introduced at the 1964 National Hardware show at McCormick Place by Sprunger Brothers Mfg. . I worked there at that time and helped assemble them. They were also sold under the Montgomery Wards label.
Dave

·
15,000 +posts!
20,069 Posts
A friend has an identical saw,even the same color, that was bought at "Central Tool",a warehouse type store that has a location not far away,he has a floor model drill press from the same place too...they sell a lot of lower priced tools for homeowner use as well as name brand big dollar stuff like lathes,and a lot of machine shop tools and supplies..

I haven't been to that store in 10+ years,I now wonder if it still exists..since Harbor Freight started opening stores in this area,they may not have been able to compete.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,202 Posts
I have another brand but similar saw, chinese or taiwanese knock off, and with a good blade it cuts fine. Wish I had a better mechanism to hold stuff though like a big electromagnet- I often find myself clamping metal for angle cuts or clamping and awkwardly holding it with pliers or something to get my cuts right

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Seems as it has been sold under many different labels, if the capacity fits your bill then there should be available parts for anything that should break.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Hi, CCMoe:
Are you have bandsaw machine, too? what is your model?
HRF,

I do not have one at home but use the universities at work. I don't recall the brand name but it is a fair size one, blade cooling, variable speed feed rate.

Edited; I think it is a Jet HBS 1321 model

CCMoe

·
Registered
7 Posts
I checked out a Klutch metal bandsaw on Northern's website. They have it advertised for $279.00. Just wondering if anyone has one of these saws or knows about them? The online reviews look good. I would only use it for at home hobby stuff.

Here's the link...

Klutch Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Band Saw — 4 1/2in. x 6in., 3/4 HP, 120V Motor | Band Saws| Northern Tool + Equipment
Well I have the much older band saw that is pretty much all the same as that one and was sold by HF it's a great saw if you spend time tuning all the blade guides otherwise it's kinda junky .
That saw design has been around for a long time

1 - 14 of 14 Posts