My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Some of my neatest memories of my son are of him listening intently to his grandfather or his great-grandfather. He would rather talk to them than kids his own age. After his baseball games, he would talk to his coaches about the game rather than go get food at the concession stand with the rest of the team. I really think it helped shape the young man he is today. He's very thoughtful and doesn't make foolish decisions, and still has an immense respect for people older than him.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Zion,

He's very thoughtful and doesn't make foolish decisions, and still has an immense respect for people older than him.
:congrats: to you for raising what sounds like a wonderful young man. Too many of today's "children" are lazy, arrogant, spoiled, disrespectful brats!

Half of the younger people that I run into today I would rather give them an open hand across the side of the face instead of the time of day.

Good for you.

·
IH CUB 124
202 Posts
My soon to be 90 year old Grandmother (btw happy Mothers Day Ginny) still push mows her front yard and snow blows a path from her garage, up hill to her front door. Oh yeah, and she's 80% blind (imacular digeneration). Another thing, about 5 years ago she called me to tell me she couldn't get the chainsaw started, I said "good". I really don't know how she does it, but I'm glad she does.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
My dad's last day. He got up early, had breakfast that consisted of a cup of coffee with cream and sugar poured over a bowl of saltine crackers. That was one of his favorites!

He had an old Unit cable operated excavator. He spent weeks getting this relict working when he bought it. On this day he chained 3 culverts made of concrete, 12 feet long 4 feet across to the machine. Set out across the fields, making his own path as he went. Got to the neighbor's house and dug a well 30 feet deep, stood the culverts up in the hole, back filled the whole thing. Also dug a trench to the cottage for the water line. Then drove his beast back home.

When he got home he picked the mud out of the tracks and did some welding on a set of steel stairs he was making. Came in the house, washed up and ate supper.

That night he went to bed and never woke up in the morning. He was laying with his hands folded across his chest. Went rather peaceful. My ever practical mother called me and said dad had passed in his sleep and would I please come over, she wanted to clean him up and put him in some clean underwear. We did.

Per his request we waked him for one day of viewing and had lines out the door. Then he was cremated. That night we held an Irish wake and rejoiced in the life of my father.

His last day was not out of the ordinary . He loved to weld, garden, and repair old equipment. Never a dull moment! Dad was old school.

He died at 94

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
thats beautiful slipshod. Your dad had a good last day.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
You really touched me with your story and got me to thinking about my dad. He was taken from us at the age of 58, very suddenly.

I just don't have the words.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My dad will be 82 in July. He retired from one job about 20 years ago and now works full time (40+ hours per week) as a laborer for a suburb of Des Moines. He mows parks and ballfields and does maintenance on the shelters in the parks. He physically works harder than most 40 year olds I know and can work circles around many of them. Since most of his family lived well into their 90's and worked until they passed I expect him to keep working for a number of years.

If he were to really retire I expect he wouldn't last more than a year. Not being busy drives him nuts.

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
This is my neighbor. He is 85 years young and has a brother that lives
down the street from him that is 88. They both are still active with their
tractors! Great folks to talk to and they have very interesting stories to
tell.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,115 Posts
You know... part of this that has not been brought up... The things you learn!!

How many ideas, and knowledge of how to do things have died off becouse no one took the time to listen!!!!

I was lucky I learned from two old timers. my stepdad [who would be early 90's if he was still alive today] and a teacher I had. I learned stuff about motors, cars, trucks, etc, that you cant learn in schools. When other kids were playing there first gen video games I was taking apart old flathead V8's.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts