My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a memory foam mattress. What are the pros & cons of such a mattress?

The story behind my current regular mattress & box spring is that when I was in a homeless veterans transitory facility, we often received donations from businesses and individuals to be distributed out. A Navy veteran had passed away and his widow made available all of his household furniture, we just had to come and get it. Using the facility's passenger van, we emptied out the house to place in the facility storage.
Then the facility tagged all the items and had the veterans pick out 3 tags from a box. I ended up with the mattress and two side tables. Lest you think this was some Goodwill stuff, all of the items in the house were high quality, top level items. The two side tables are solid maple, no plywood or filler. The mattress set was later priced new at over $5,000. It is a very good mattress set, just hard as a rock.

Have had them all now for over 7 years.

·
Premium Member
7,979 Posts
We don't have a memory foam mattress. But have 4" of memory foam on top. We have been sleeping on it for a year now and like it.
Just remember to go with extra deep fitted sheets if going this route.
I would like to have an adjustable bed. But have not found one that will work in the trailer trailer.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried the toppers over the years and they were OK. That's why I'm thinking of the entire mattress. My fitted sheets are all 12 inch deep pocket.

For an adjustable bed, take a look at the used hospital beds.

·
Super Moderator
12,672 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
I find them to be hot. Both of my daughters have them at their homes and when we stay there I always end up hot. My wife agrees they are warm, but doesn’t mind it as much.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the observation, Bodjick L!

Being warm would not be a problem for me as I use an electric mattress pad during the Winter. Also heard tell that you shouldn't use a mattress heater with memory foam as the memory foam relies on the body heat to soften to conform to the body and may lead to damage.

·
Premium Member
7,979 Posts
We put an adjustable platform under our queen bed. Doesn't take up any more space than the mattress but the frame is ~75lbs

This one:l
Wal-mart queen bed frame
I will have to go back and save it for later consideration. But have a few questions. How far below the frame does the motor and everything else hang? How is it powered? you would think they would list that information, but Walmart was more interested in making sure I was not a robot. I also need to go back and check dimensions as queen size and RV queen size are not the same.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have used a couple different brands for over 10 years and you would have a hard time getting me to try anything else at this point. Not saying there isn't anything better but I'm happy with them.

They probably are a little hotter than a reg. Mattress but I honestly didn't notice a big difference when switching over. I do also have a 4" pad on top of my 12" mem. foam so 16 inches of foam. Don't go with a thin one unless you are a really small person. I don't know what brand I have but I didn't pay over $400 for either of them. It took my wife a week or so to get used to it but it didn't take me any time.

·
Premium Member
7,979 Posts
Being warm was not that big of a deal after we bought better sheets. The wife could not figure out why I wanted to spend that kind of money on sheets. But these are water wicking thermals. Cool in the summer and warm in the winter. We are going to have to get another set some time as these are now being pulled off washed and put back on. Guess she likes them.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question, and I'm off topic, so I apologize in advance. I just wanted to thank you for your service, and say that I was sorry to hear that at some point you were in a situation where you had to live in a homeless veteran's facility. I'm glad that you're no longer there though!

·
tiny tractor big interest
564 Posts
I have a couple and love them. I suggest going to the store and laying on the displays to try out the differences. Foam has a few firmnesses, hybrid (coil and foam), and even some "cooling" models. Best to go feel what your body likes. I'm a side sleeper and my shoulders do much better on foam than my old coil bed. I have a king with the adjustable base. The adjustment is used everyday as I keep the head up slightly all the time. When I have post nasal drip it comes up quite a bit more to let me sleep without a coughing fit (not that this situation happens more than a couple times a year), and it is real nice to "put it up like a hospital bed" on a sunday morning to watch TV. I have been told it help with my snoring too.

Adam

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks lx176mainer, That's good info.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,979 Posts
Bought one of these for our 5th wheel, best we've had so far.

So gel filled. What's that thing weigh.
Will have to look at it some more. They were more interested in their discount than providing mattress information.
I don't shop that way.

·
Registered
749 Posts
First was some kind of foam that came with the RV, put about 6" of memory foam on top, better. Second one was a foam with 3 different layers, not much better, the Purple is the best so far. It's about as good as out adjustable Temrapedic we have at home.

Weight oh the queen we got was 110 pounds.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ordered the firm latex foam 12 inch, three layer queen mattress from Amazon for $285.00. 2 inch cooling gel infused latex foam top layer, 3 inch "eggcrate" breathable layer & 7 inch foam base. Weight is 68 pounds. Will report back after I use it.

·
Citizen of Earth
16,773 Posts
When I was still living with my ex (30+ years ago), she had a foam mattress. I hated it. It was hot in the summer and way too soft for me. But I am larger and heavier than most folks. But the technology in foam mattresses has advanced considerably since then. I'm currently sleeping on the extra firm conventional coil mattress we got as a wedding gift 26 years ago and it is coming to the end of it's useful life. I haven't found a foam mattress that is firm enough for me, so I'm looking at conventional coil mattresses.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts