My Tractor Forum banner
481 - 500 of 511 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
Just read through your entire thread! Great work on a tractor I had never heard of until I read about yours.

Heck, I had never heard about a lot of the tractors I see here! I got the Sears Craftsman bug a few years ago and have three GT-18 tractors now thanks to this site!
Anyways, look forward to seeing more about this little gem of a tractor.
Thanks for the kind words! It was a labor of love for sure and has a long way to go. The rear end seals let go and dumped all its fluid on the barn floor so that needs to be addressed now. It will get it's day one day coming up, just like to take turns.

I too got the Sears bug in the form of my Suburban 12 and Sears ST/10X which also have threads here. I learn about new machines everyday too, the biggest gem about this place is the amount there is to learn here on MTF!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #482 ·
Seen the Fahn sitting in the barn today and decided to wake up this old thread for a bump. I think once the Sears resto is finished the Fahn may get it's chance at fame again. I've had an idea of how I wanted to fix it up for a few years now, and hoping I can start that. Maybe it will be a winter project?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #483 ·
Well, sometimes the forum can be like archeology. A long forgotten buried thread can be brought back to light with updates. I hear in the MTF world we call that an Ellis thread :sidelaugh: (sorry buddy, I had to)

I had talked about bringing the Fahn back in for some love and this spring will be it. Our Hahn group wants to have a poor repaint section at the show for GT700 tractors as my buddy picked up a bright orange as well as a poorly painted camo machine, so they said Ford blue needs to be there.

Next thing I know I stopped by to see my Dad and he has the 10hp Tecumseh out on the bench as he is cleaning up his garage and it got forgotten in the corner. He is doing the final button up of it and I will finish repainting the tins as work allows. The engine was left just about finished, it only needed the new exhaust valve ground and set, and a few minor external things buttoned up. Last night he took on digging out the valve grind machine as well as cleaning up the gasket surfaces

As the Fahn now has a bad rear end I will also swap it with a spare that I believe will fit from a Ford YT I picked up as a parts machine. The Fahn's rear axle seals completely let go about a year ago in the barn, and the hydro pump has always sounded sad so hoping this one sounds better. The engine has a bad knock also so this 10hp will get dropped in.

Once the weather warms up a bit I will dig it out of my parent's barn and bring it over for surgery. In the mean time we can finish the engine rebuild :). Besides the engine and rear end swap I also have bits from the PO to bring it back to OEM, as well as have to reassemble the headlight panel as it had been taken apart for measurements. May even treat it to a round of tires to go with the wheel weights!

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
37,121 Posts
Well, sometimes the forum can be like archeology. A long forgotten buried thread can be brought back to light with updates. I hear in the MTF world we call that an Ellis thread :sidelaugh: (sorry buddy, I had to)
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #487 ·
My Dad got the valve in last night and everything set along with the valve springs. I picked him up some new head bolts today so he can button that up.

I got done work early and cleaned up most of the tin work. I was not impressed by the JD paint that was on it, as most areas it came off in seconds with the wire wheel (same wheel I'm using on my Sears resto that I have to fight to get clean). Got it in primer, the joys of being single is it can dry in the nice warm kitchen :sidelaugh:. I painted it out in the shop just for the record :hide:

It appears something came loose in the engine shroud in it's life as there are dings, dents and tears everywhere now that I cleaned it up. My Dad or myself are going to stop in and see a welding buddy to put it back together for us. His welder is always handy, so its easier dropping it by his place for small things

·
Super Moderator
12,937 Posts
Your primed parts look great hanging in the kitchen, Mikey. They look like they could be kitchen utensils. The flywheel screen would make a great flour strainer. The tins look good.(y)

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,299 Posts

Go ahead, laugh it up you two........geesh, a guy doesn't finish a project or twenty and he gets labeled a nare do well.

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
Your primed parts look great hanging in the kitchen, Mikey. They look like they could be kitchen utensils. The flywheel screen would make a great flour strainer. The tins look good.(y)
Thanks Dave! I knew someone here could find me some justification ;)
Go ahead, laugh it up you two........geesh, a guy doesn't finish a project or twenty and he gets labeled a nare do well.
I am very guilty of that myself Ellis, lot's of cob webbed projects. At least with archeology when they do come to light everyone calls them "treasure" :dunno:
At least you brought Mikey's post to light, Ellis. I missed it. It was a good one too! :)
I expected you to jump on that one Dave, glad you caught it in the 2nd round

Painted parts are now hanging in the kitchen! Found I have to reshoot the flywheel screen as it has a couple thin spots, but nothing crazy

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #493 ·
Enjoy being able to hang your painted parts in the kitchen while you can. The day will come when you can't do that anymore.;)
I'm sure you are right Dave. That day is a long ways down the road tho ;)

Well, was getting ready for final assembly and realized the flywheel had a cracked fin by the PO, as well as the spare flywheel I had (which I bought to steal the SSI trigger pins out of).

So, where I purchased the weights from for my Sears projects he had a carcass of a Roper RT/10 with 10hp Tecumseh which I purchased. We learned quite a bit about the different flywheels from this ordeal, which I'll try and document this weekend :)

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #495 ·
You have a lot of projects going on ...good luck with everything
Only picked up the Roper for the flywheel then it will get stored out in a shed until I strip it for parts or a future rebuild. Trying to empty some irons from the fire, however spare parts are always a bonus and it had a good flywheel!

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #496 ·
Well after discovering the broken fin on the flywheel we looked in our parts to not find a good flywheel

So I picked up the RT/10 that had a Tecumseh HH100 on it. After we removed the flywheel we realized there are 2 styles. To switch between them requires a new flywheel, backing plate, as well as the stator itself

The one on the left is from the Roper RT/10 and is the 20 amp stator which from reading said that it was mainly for tractors with a lighting package or electric PTO clutch. The magnets on the flywheel are bonded to it, and the stator is physically larger. The backing plate also has a slightly different not where the wire runs to allow it to go thru straight as well as a small tab to lock it in

The one on the right was the original from the JD 112 HH100 and is only a 10 amp stator. The magnets bolt into the flywheel in a ring, the stator is much different and smaller, and the backing plate has no locking tab as well as a smaller notch

The HH100 from the JD will now have the beefed up 20 amp system, and assembly can continue :)

Hope this may help someone in the future!

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #497 ·
While the old man was cleaning he also found 3 hubcaps an Uncle gave to use awhile back that slipped our mind. I believe they are for 6 inch rims. I hit them with the soapy water and tinfoil trick and it worked great. 2 may find their way on the front of the Fahn ;)

Pictures are before, 1 of the 3 done, and all 3 completed

Doesn't take long to do but man it makes a big difference!

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,299 Posts
Dang, those caps came out suh-weeeet, Mikey!

Reactions: MikMan48
481 - 500 of 511 Posts