My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Rw, thanks for the reply. TFE paste is what I used. I purchased my fittings, from a local hydraulic shop. Maybe I'll dismantle, the few I sealed with tape, and try again with the paste. I don't believe that I ever ran it, after fixing the few leaks with tape. Once I had success, at stopping the leaks, I kind of wanted,to leave well enough alone. I was aware of the tape issues, but frustration kicked in.?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Marc, You may be better off leaving them, but remember that they're there! Most people start tape a thread or 2 back from the end of the fitting (this is good!). The tape is held in place by the threads and usually doesn't get into the system. The problem arises when the fitting is removed, for whatever reason. NOW, bits of tape can be stuck in the threads and when installing another fitting, the fitting can push the tape particles into the system.

I think Frank has finished this thread, but if you decide to remove the fittings, why don't you start a new thread, "Removing teflon tape from hyd fittings", or something like that. I'll respond there rather than hijack this thread. Bob

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's encouraging advice, to just leave alone, and note it was done. I did rap the tape a couple threads up the fitting. I was aware of the concerns with using tape, and I tried to be very careful. I hope I didn't hijack this thread. Thanks for the help. With all that said, we'll probably not have any snow this year.?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Marc, You may be better off leaving them, but remember that they're there! Most people start tape a thread or 2 back from the end of the fitting (this is good!). The tape is held in place by the threads and usually doesn't get into the system. The problem arises when the fitting is removed, for whatever reason. NOW, bits of tape can be stuck in the threads and when installing another fitting, the fitting can push the tape particles into the system.

I think Frank has finished this thread, but if you decide to remove the fittings, why don't you start a new thread, "Removing teflon tape from hyd fittings", or something like that. I'll respond there rather than hijack this thread. Bob
No tape? When tightening my hose fittings, on my blade cylinders, only way I could keep them from leaking, was teflon tape. I know it's discouraged. They were leaking, with the frame not even connected to the hyd ports on tractor. I probably used it on 3 fittings. Is it a special pipe dope? I used Harvey's TFE paste, pipe thread compound.
Were fittings old/used? NPT? NPT deform when tightened and sometimes will leak the next use.

That's encouraging advice, to just leave alone, and note it was done. I did rap the tape a couple threads up the fitting. I was aware of the concerns with using tape, and I tried to be very careful. I hope I didn't hijack this thread. Thanks for the help. With all that said, we'll probably not have any snow this year.?

I was going to say the same thing as rwmeyer. You pasted the point of not using Teflon tape. Removing will just create problems that leaving them will not. If done correctly, first couple of threads no tape and wrapped the right direction, (so tape will not "bunch/unwrap" when tightened) the only problem will be if the fitting is ever removed. The tape will shred and ALL must be cleaned out.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts