My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 448 Ingersolls. Both have a mechanical clutch for the attachments.
Both are missing a few clutch parts. Should I just change them over to electric clutches?. Is so what is the cost and where do I buy the parts.?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Like Mike says, a cpl hundred bucks for the electric PTO itself, a custom means to hold the body of the PTO stationary, wiring, relay and a switch. You'll loose the OEM hydraulic cooler fan so you'd have to rig an electric one of those, plus the alignment between the PTO sheave and the mule drive pulleys will be different so you've got that going for you as well. Long story short, simple and less expensive? Get a used PTO assy or your missing parts from eBay or a dealer.

Joel

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
This whole clutch debate is really old news. It's been kicked around many, many times in the past. Most long-time owners, including me, will advise you to conduct a proper rebuild on the mechanical clutches. If you install three new bearings, a new clutch disc and make sure the shims and Belleville washers are in good shape, that's half the battle. The second half is to make sure the shaft that everything mounts on is not badly grooved or the parts will hang up on the grooves. Learning how to properly adjust these clutches is important. There is a clutch manual at the top of this forum board that tells you to go about it.

Electric clutches are a throw-away item.

·
Super Moderator
31,742 Posts
Ya.. Ans CGT says, why bother? I mean, the manual one works SO well, and is fixable. Frankly the most expensive part that ever goes is the shaft gets worn. I think I paid just a tick over $100 for the last one I bought. Disc was pretty cheap also. I never priced out the bearings, but I would guess worst case, your going to spend 200 MAX to get it like new, and then you can enjoy the tractor for another 30 years!!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I have one tractor (my newest) with an electric clutch and all the rest have mechanical clutches and the only clutch that gives me any problems is the electric one. Often overlooked is the fact that the electric clutches have a pretty good current load that can damage the ignition switch and can damage the engine if they develop a short. The mechanical clutch is pretty trouble free and can be rebuilt inexpensively every 30 years or so if needed. I have also purchased several tractors very inexpensively because the previous owner was unable or unwilling to invest the small amount of time required to understand how to adjust the clutch.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,060 Posts
"I do know that electric clutches will run low 200$ and high 300$
also need to find one that matches your engines rotation.
clockwise or ccw."

I have 3 new electric clutches for $100 ea, plus shipping, 3 different styles and I never heard of nor see any reason for concern about direction of rotation plus all engines I am aware of rotate clockwise looking at the flywheel. Two concerns, crankshaft size and pulley size.

That said, I prefer good working mechanical clutches. Electric clutch may be simpler in some cases, current draw is about 4 amps.

Walt Conner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts