My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brother just texted me 4 pictures of a McCormick Deering grinder he just bought me at a sale in NC.

He is not familiar with tractors, but saw the name and figured for $6 it should be mine. I won't see it in person until June, when he comes up for my tractor show. What exactly am I the new proud owner of? I'm guessing it's for a sickle bar mower?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Looks like some sort of hand crank powered grinding wheel to me.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
That's a sickle knife grinder, but I'm not sure it's all there. I never used one, but know they were clamped somewhere on your machine and allowed you to pull and re-sharpen the knife set in the field during the day, without having to go back to the shop. I hope it's all there and that you plan on restoring it. These can look great when all cleaned up and repainted. There's so much IH information out online that I hope you can find detailed original information on how it was supposed to look and what all it was supposed to have.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
I have the same one. It is originally a dull green. Yours wasn't oiled much and has surface rust, mine was oiled to death and its all turned to tar and currently won't turn with the crank. (you can turn it by the stone) I think I got mine about the same price. I actually showed mine to the local auction guy, but I decided to bring it home & let it sit in diesel..which I forgot to do.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help! My Brother says it turns freely with the crank. It appears to be complete with the exception of a bar clamp. I found a video showing how to use it, pretty neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ThSnDnz6Rw

1 - 6 of 6 Posts