My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
may or may not have helped save a life today. i got a knock on the door about 5:30. just as the dinner bell went off :banghead3. it was a guy from the kansas city star newspaper wanting me to sign up. i told him i wasn't interested and that we had the friday thru sunday delivery for awhile but we didn't read it and i ended up using the paper to light the charcoal grill and pointed to the lil smokey in the driveway. i was half trying to be a XXXX because he interrupted my dinner but i was telling the truth. about that time i looked across the street, 2 houses down and saw the neighbor lady with her push mower propped up with a cinder block on the handle to hold it up. she had a wrench in one hand and a rag in the other. i quickly put 2 and 2 together and figured she was trying to get the blade off. i said to the paper guy "she's trying to take the blade off that mower, i wonder if she knows to pull the spark plug?" i said i was going to go over there real quick and see if she needed any help. i went in and got my shoes on and the news paper guy walked over and talked to her and showed her how to pull the spark plug out. *phew* i ended up signing back up for the news paper. what the hey. it's $2 a week for the weekend delivery and i could use some fire starter. i got my cordless impact and helped the lady get the blade off. while i was at it i got her other push mower running. the cable on the kill lever stretched and wouldn't move the kill lever far enough to let the engine fire.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Good for you. If you didn't save her life, I am quite sure that probably saved her a few appendages. Good catch and good for you for doing the right thing. :fing32:

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
sometimes people are brought into our lives for an instance to see things....

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
Yea right.... I've been around small engines all my life and I have yet to see an engine that you could start by trying to spin the blade... Possible... Yes maybe...
I think I would have a better chance playing the lottery...

·
Registered
345 Posts
tpolly - it's thoughtful, helpful people like you that help make life grand, thanks.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,979 Posts
Yea right.... I've been around small engines all my life and I have yet to see an engine that you could start by trying to spin the blade... Possible... Yes maybe...
Hey, I must REALLY be a veteran of MTF now, I've been here long enough to see the whole "Spark Plug Wire On versus Spark Plug Wire off" debate start AGAIN! :)

So, Ken n TX, if you're watching this thread, how many times has this topic come up over the past 5 years?

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,676 Posts
I have started an engine that way.......I was trying to to prove a freind wrong, so I knew to get the hands outta the way, but yes........it is doable.........and it does spin up real fast.........

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
It doesn't have to start - just kick back once, and fingers are on the other side of the shop suddenly...
Why take the smallest chance when pulling the lead takes 4 seconds?

·
Banned
2 Posts
I havent seen it myself .It is possible .But that is why they put the safety brake/shut off on the handle ..So it cant spark unless you depress the handle..But you do have a few people that like to wire them up ..not smart to do by any means

·
Super Moderator
35,925 Posts
I've had one do a kickback on me before that way, scared the crap outta me! Didn't get my fingers though!

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
No one has mentioned how rare it is to see a woman taking the blade off a mower. (What was she going to do, sharpen it?)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Why risk it ? It may start or may not. I would not want to see what happens if it did. An older fellow down the rode from me always jump started his old AC tractor to till the garden. Done this hundreds of times. Well the LAST time he did it , it popped into gear and crushed him between the tractor tire and his truck bumper. We were called out to rescue but it was only a recovery. It was not a pretty sight when we winched the tractor away from the truck. He was an older guy and had ALWAYS started the tractor this way. His wife was the one who found him first.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Why risk it ? It may start or may not. I would not want to see what happens if it did. An older fellow down the rode from me always jump started his old AC tractor to till the garden. Done this hundreds of times. Well the LAST time he did it , it popped into gear and crushed him between the tractor tire and his truck bumper. We were called out to rescue but it was only a recovery. It was not a pretty sight when we winched the tractor away from the truck. He was an older guy and had ALWAYS started the tractor this way. His wife was the one who found him first.

The old boys have there ways of doing things ..I am always giving my dad **** for doing things that are not safe...Its hard to teach an old dog new tricks ...Its sad that this fellow lost his life doing that

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
The old boys have there ways of doing things ..I am always giving my dad **** for doing things that are not safe...Its hard to teach an old dog new tricks ...Its sad that this fellow lost his life doing that

guess I'm an old dog....

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No one has mentioned how rare it is to see a woman taking the blade off a mower. (What was she going to do, sharpen it?)
she's a single mom. 2 kinds i'm guessing 9 and 10 or somewhere there abouts. i'm guessing she's in her late 40's. she mows her yard twice a week as well as the lady across the street from her and her parents yard. i'm quite envious of her. i'm lucky if i get to mow my yard every 2 weeks. she was taking the blade off because it was bent. she also said the mower was leaving clumps of grass every so often. the mower looked like it shuld have a bag on it but there's no bag. i assume its set up for mulching. i suggested she buy a mulching blade and why to see if that fixed the clumping. i showed her how to put the new blade on and told her if she needed any of my tools or my help to knock on my door.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Good for you seeing what she was trying to do, she still has her life and all body parts..
Just in the right place at the right time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts