My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Max 28XL with industrial tires (front 23x8.50-12 Rear 12-16.5). I would like to find a set of economical chains for it. I’ve gotten by without chains since I bought it in 2014 but after the heavy snow and now expected ice I probably should at least get a set for the front tires. We have a long paved driveway and road to clear. Any recommendations, brands etc.
thanks

· Administrator
18,609 Posts
Not sure why you would just want to put chains on the front. There are many discussions about the ability of the smaller components of the front drive to withstand the additional load pressure placed on it. I would recommend that you get a proper set for the rear, which in "most" cases takes care of the problem. The industrial tires are similar to an R4 tire, meaning that the chains can side between the chevrons, basically eliminating their value to aid in traction. My suggestion is that you get a set of diamond pattern chains which ride atop the tread.

You can find these at many sites online. Here are two to get started.
Snow Tire Chains | Best Snow Chains | Free US Shipping
https://www.tirechain.com
MikeC

· Super Moderator
24,205 Posts
You do know that chains will tear up your paved driveway don't you?
Only if the tires spin.

Industrial (R4) tires are not known for good traction on hard packed snow. A heavy 2wd GT with turfs and chains will outperform a small 4wd CUT several hundred pounds heavier with R4s all around.

My GT with chains does not spin the tires on asphalt while pushing a 54" bucket and pulling a 5' back blade at the same time through 18" of fresh snow. Proper ballasting of the tractor for the tires used is the key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.