My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My neighbor has a MH 44 (I think) That has no spark and he asked me to go over it. I agreed but I have little knowledge on the 6V system. One red flag was that he's been trying to start it with a 12V battery because he had one and doesn't want to buy a new 6V Bat. until he knows it runs. My question before I go too for is will that work? Could the 12V have fried the coil?

·
Super Moderator
11,140 Posts
You can connect the 12v battery to the 6v battery with the key off....let the 6v battery absorb some juice from the 12v..disconnect the cables and see if it will start...if the 6 volt battery is shot it won't work...also check that the tractor is negative ground...a lot of 6 volt systems are positive ground

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The 6V battery is gone and he's been trying to get it going with the 12V. Would the coil handle that? Is there a way you know to check the coil? I forgot about the positive ground possability. Thanks for the reminder and I'll check that out.

·
Super Moderator
11,140 Posts
It's a toss up...I have heard some people say they have done it with no problem...I have also heard of the smell of something electrical burning...and a little smoke..personally I would not take that chance

1 - 4 of 4 Posts