My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I'm not into social media, but found this site useful for various tractor projects and wanted to post some of the upgrades I've done on my newly purchased tractor (summer 2019) in the hopes it'll help other SCUT [Massey GC1705] owners.

Most of the mods I've done to mine were inspired by looking at what other owners have done on various forums and customizing them to my Massey GC1705. All of these mods are somewhat universal and will probably work in some fashion on all the other brands. All of my mods are home-built and customized for my tractor for a learning experience / customizing to my tractor & needs / money saving - as opposed to buying universal add on's. The first mod I did was add grab hooks to my bucket...

These were a great addition for pulling brush / lashing stuff to the bucket and in my opinion should be standard from the factory on any FEL. I purchased these from Menards and spent around $20 for all 3 hooks and the D-Ring.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Looks like a very useful tractor. Grab hooks are a great addition to a loader. I need to weld some on mine.

I ran into needing to haul something last weekend that was too wide to fit in the bucket. Chain would have held it in. Thanks for the reminder.

·
3,395 Posts
Some nice work...thank you for showing your stuff....would you stopover at Introductions it is our introductions forums...tell us a little about yourself and your equipment

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The second upgrade I did was making a set of clamp on pallet / brush forks for my tractor.

Shortly after purchasing my tractor, I realized how useful a set of pallet / brush forks would be for my property. I can get pallets free from work and its useful palletizing items to move around my shop / property. For example Its handy to throw thing on a pallet, such as landscaping bricks / other equipment, and moving them from one place to another in one movement. I looked at buying some from Northern Tool, but couldn't justify $200+ dollars for a set, so I came up with a similar design and purchased all the required materials from my local steel supply shop for less than $50.

I saw some bit of 'controversy' using C-Channel for homemade pallet forks tractors on some forums. I feel like sometimes there are a lot of people who are so smart that they have to school everyone on everything, yet lack common sense. Yes, this C-Channel is not suitable to lift an army tank with my SCUT - FEL. I use it to lift 400 - 500 lbs max and its completely fine as long as I have proper rear ballast (another post on that). To my satisfaction the bucket on this Massey is really robust and the clamping pressure at the max capacity for how I would use these forks shows no deflection / distress when loaded.

Attachments

·
3,395 Posts
Arnold...did you use stick or mig to weld on those hooks? ....if you used stick, what rods did you use?...thank you...Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was .030 Mig. I stick weld too quite a bit, and would chose 1/8" 7018s with my stick welder.

Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was planning on making a separate set of brush forks to fasten to my bucket when I first purchased my tractor, but after using the clamp on pallet forks I realized they work just fine for all my brush piles...

I have a lot trees around my house that I am in the process of cutting down - the spruces due to disease. I've been cutting all the brush / logs into 6' - 8' lengths. Being able to adjust my pallet (brush) forks to the width of my bucket allows me to move the brush piles to my burn pit with ease.

Mike

·
21,519 Posts
A couple of facts of life concerning FELs and chain hooks that most owners miss using my GC 2310 with a 2350 loader as an example.

- Breakout force at the cutting edge is 930 lb. A chain in the grab hooks as installed on your bucket can lift that much, less the weight of the chain, when the arm cylinders are fully retracted and the bucket is below grade and horizontal. Every inch the bucket rises means less lift capability up to max height where it is reduced to 470 lb.

- Breakout force available at the bucket pins on the arm is 1205 lb. A chain going down the back side of the bucket can lift about 1170 lb with the arm cylinders retracted and can equal the max height lifting capacity of 678 lb with judicious use of the bucket curl function without interfering with the nose of the tractor.

- A chain dropped down the back of the bucket and run under the bucket ahead to a secure object can also be used as a short stroke 1500 lb winch by curling the bucket forward. It can also be used for such purposes as pulling a beam out from under a shed since the chain can be as close to grade as necessary so as not to lift the beam when clearance is limited.

- To drop a chain down the back of the bucket requires a complete hook, including the eye which can accept a chain shackle. The half hooks do not allow these, admittedly rare, tasks to be undertaken.

One of the reasons that channel is frowned on as a material for forks is that channel, unlike rectangular tube, is more subject to twisting if sufficient force is applied to one side of the channel. That's not really a problem for your application since the further the load is ahead of the bucket, the less lifting capability there is available. Besides the distance ahead of the bucket, the payload capability is also reduced by the weight of the forks.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
I saw some bit of 'controversy' using C-Channel for homemade pallet forks tractors on some forums. I feel like sometimes there are a lot of people who are so smart that they have to school everyone on everything, yet lack common sense.
Yep. Usually those who don't do. Sayers instead of do-ers. I doubt you'll ever need anything stronger than those forks but if you ever felt the need for more strength boxing in the bottom would exponentially do it.

I built a lifting device for Freightliner trucks because we needed to be able to unload the front end to change springs. I built a box to slide in the front bumper by boxing in channel and welding boxed channel around it in a T-shape to allow for lifting with an air jack. This is how small that boxed channel needed to be to lift that whole truck. That small single slot in the middle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts