My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new.

I was wondering if the largest old-style tractors(mf14, mf16) had a gear transmission at all.

I had seen the mf12 mentioned with a gear transmission, so I was just wondering.

The reason I ask is because I want to build a pulling tractor and gear transmission is recommended.

If you can find those with a gear transmission, how do you tell the difference?

Jser

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

I recently asked myself the same question, as I would like to get one of the garden tractors and would prefer gear drive. I went to agcopartsbooks.com and looked up the 12 and 16. The 16 does not appear to have a gear version while the smaller 10/12 does. I am new to these machines, so I stand to be corrected, but that is what I found. The parts books are available to browse if you want to see how these tractors are put together.

Cheers
Brian

·
I bleed M-F red
787 Posts
The largest 60's-early 70's GT, would be the MF-12G. I'm not sure that it would make the best puller, because it uses a long variable pulley drive belt.
I've seen a cub puller, with MF body work on it, that might be an option?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, none of the mf14 or mf16s have gear drive?

I failed to mention this will basically be a stock tractor, so it just needs to be a good solid tractor. Therefore belt drive should not be an issue, but you mentioned something about a variable drive pulley, would that be a problem?

Just really liked the looks of the MF14, 16 so I thought it would be great if I could get the larger frame and toughness of the bigger ones compared to the 10 and 12.

Thanks for your help.
Jser

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Jser I have a MF14 and MF16 hydo and to my knowledge (which is lacking on these) they only came in the hydro.

Tweidman has a real good point as not all of these MF's where introduced at the same time - the 12's may have been the biggest made in the 60's. I have no knowledge of what years they are or when the 14's and 16's were introduced.

Why are you afraid of the hydros?

Oh I see you want a pulling tractor.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess my next questions are:

Is the frame on the mf12s that much smaller or weaker than the big ones?

Is the hydro in the big ones tough enough for any type of work like pulling(what types of work have people put these through)?

I am looking for as much info about this line as possible, anything you think will be remotely helpful.

This is a side shaft engine correct?

Jser

·
I bleed M-F red
787 Posts
Is the frame on the mf12s that much smaller or weaker than the big ones?
No, the frame on the 10 & 12 are way over-built.

Is the hydro in the big ones tough enough for any type of work like pulling(what types of work have people put these through)?
The hydros are tough and should handle any type of job, however, for a pure pulling tractor you probably want a manual trans.

This is a side shaft engine correct?
Yes, it is correct for the 10/12. As caseman2 said the 14/16 are inline and shaft driven.

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
i have an amf 1414 basically the same running gear as the mf 14 and i've pulled 3 tons with it at idle that thing is a beast just have to watch how much pressure i put on the hydrostat drive pedal as if im not careful it will pull the front wheels off the ground about a foot thats when the ride gets scary lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like you need wheelie bars :ROF

We had our first real run(test & tune) with the wheel horse yesterday.

Here is the web site with pictures and a video.

The video is a full pull but the camera cut out early.

driscollmotorsports.2ya.com

Just click on pictures or videos up at the top.

Jser

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
not any more hopefully the linkage to the hydro was way out of adjustment and there were a few loose screws fixed it so it should be better guess ill know next time i try to pull a load

1 - 14 of 14 Posts