My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my first tractor. It is a Massey 65 diesal...I know nothing other than how to start, turn on PTO and cut. Can anyone provide me with information on how/where to find the serial number on my tractor so I can figure out exactly what I have? (i.e. year, mark 1 or 2) I looked in the vacinity of the battery and did not see a serial number plate...Help Please!

·
Registered
128 Posts
If the ser# is there it will be on a small plate riveted to the dash panel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no plate but did find what appears to be a serial number on the right side of the engine which is: 37786240. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

·
Registered
128 Posts
That # doesn't help i'm afraid, engine ser # should be either on top rear of block ( a real handy spot) or right side under manifold, should be letters and numbers, no way to date a pre 1974 Perkins by year but should say either
A4.192 or A4.203 which is MK1 or MK2. You may find a casting code on side of trans casing which will be something like 15 10 9 which would be
15th Nov 1959 that would put you within a 3 to 6 month tractor build. HTH

·
Registered
128 Posts
We are getting closer Ed, that does indeed look like the tractor ser #, except the first 3 in the number doesn't match, MF65 #'s start at 65****, could yours be a 5 or 8 or ??.
The prefix letters stand for
S- standard width
N- Perkins diesel
D- direct injection (AD4.203 motor)
W- is either multipower trans or diff lock, cain't remember which.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate the help! Now that we have figured out what I have, the real questions begin...I have a pretty serious hydraulic leak from one side of the rear axle.It looks almost like a plate in between the diff. housing and the axle itself. The leak is in the area of the trumpet housing (there appears to be a half-moon looking hole, underneath, in between the plates where the oil is coming from). I realize I can get a gasket for where the plate mates to the diff. hump, but is there a O ring or for the the joint closer to the wheel end???? Thanks again and by the way I have ordered a parts and service manual cause without a doubt I am going to need it! Ed

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hmmm, sounds like you have some "fun" times ahead, the hole is a weep hole designed to help prevent oil getting on the brake discs when either the differential carrier and/or the planetary housing seals fail, the whole axle trumpet and planetary plate will have to come off to fix it, this is very heavy and you will need some type of lifting gear. The parts and service manual will guide you through the procedure, don't forget to drain oil from diff and trans plugs, you will have about 5-6 gals to deal with. Good luck;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JJ I sure wish you lived alittle closer, I would drive it to your house!!! I have a mechanic close by and he has already looked at the leak and explained that the "fix" looks must worse than it really is with the exception of the weight. He also said we will get both sides while we are at it to keep from having to do it later...again thanks! Ed

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds like a good plan Ed, i am sure your mechanic will think to do this but whilst in there check condition of bearings, disc brakes and i also like to install new springs on the brake actuators.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What companies have you found who offers the widest selection of parts for the Massey 65???? Thanks Ed

·
Registered
128 Posts
I buy all my MF parts from my AGCO/MF dealer, a few years ago they set
up their "Heritage Line" of parts for the older tractors and most everything is available and guaranteed to fit, unlike some of the aftermarket products.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your information has been awesome! I was able to get ALL my replacement parts less than 12 miles from the house...really good for me because even the Walmart is 17 miles! Way back in the woods here! Thanks again! Ed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Folks, the entire rear end of my 65 has new gaskets and is primered up from the transmission back!!!! Actually been pretty fun to work on!!! I need to know what type and quanity of fluid that goes back into the final drives on each side...Thanks Ed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts