My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put my onan 18 hp in my tractor after a complete rebuild and started it up last night and I have no oil pressure showing at my guage. The line that goes to my guage is still clean. My neighbor said I should have packed the oil pump with grease when I inspected it. Is there a way to prime the pump without taking the engine back out like taking the bolt out on top of the engine where the spring and plunger are and maybe putting some oil down there? Maybe some of you might have an answer for me or I might be forgetting something:banghead3

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The oil pump should need no priming. May be other problems. I'd take the line loose from the gauge & turn engine over to see if there is any flow at all. If no flow, then I'd pull the pan & inspect the pump.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
BTW...did you check the oil pressure regulator spring & plunger? Possible they are stuck in open position allowing oil to bypass. The bolt on top right hand side just behind the cam gear cover holds this spring & plunger down.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just came back from John Deere and they showed a washer sitting on top of the spring for the plunger and I dont remember mine having that. Sometimes JD has engine man. do thing different for them.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The washer was the copper one which i have but i cant see if i have the plunger in right, i am thinking the norrow end goes up to keep the spring on the plunger, right?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
found out i put the wrong gasket in the oil pump. The kit gives you three different thicknesses of shims (gaskets) and i put the thick one in and it is cavatating thats why i have bubbles in my oil when i pulled the dipstick. I might just order a new pump from ebay and be done with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts