My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a guy the other day and i told him that i liked the old massy garden tractors. and he said that he has a 10 horse massey. i assume it's a massey ferguson 10. he also said that he had the starter generator rebuilt. does this sound right? and also did the massey 10 come in a hydra drive like the 12 or was it straight transmission.:thanku:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:thanku:thanks, i was going to buy the tractor with plans in turning it into a pulling tractor. if or when i buy it i'll put pitures up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool!

·
GT Finatic
62 Posts
The Masseys do fairly well pulling as long as like any other belt drive you can get the belt good and tight. I have 3 of them an 8 that has been tore down and is almost completely custom. I have left no stone un turned on it and its a work in progress National Quater Scale soon. I have an Old MF10 with the starter generator and I also have an MF12 all of which are gear drive. Hydros make good work tractors and the Gear drives make good pullers. Thanks Josh

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
was the 10 mostly a varible speed or were they mostly direct to the transmission:thanku:

·
Registered
524 Posts
both, one belt to the variable sheave, second belt to the rear. 4 speed and the speed in each gear can be adjusted with the sheave "lever on the right"

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Does the varible one have the same rear end as the non varible one, if so could you by-pass the varible sheave?

·
Registered
524 Posts
all of the 10's are vari drive that i know of. the vari also acts as the clutch by moving forward releasing the front belt tension when the brake is applied and when adjusted properly, the vari drive lever in the rear most position applies your brake for parking. if i were going to pull with one i would leave the factory setup and just make sure the belts are in good shape and the tension springs are working right. the one i seen pull in 3rd, when he got the sled going he would use the vari drive to speed up, then when he lost some power he would back off on the vari. worked pretty good

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, just wanted to know because i don't know if i'm allowed to a vari drive in the competion around were i live in the north. but thanks for straitening me out i'll probably buy the the tractor no matter what if it's a good deal.:thanku:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that makes sence

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
most defanatley, and thanks again for the info

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I used an old MF10 vari a drive for 29 yrs, loaded 10.50 rear ags. If I snagged a tree root plowing the frt end would come up before it would spin the tires but the drive system worked good. It needs to be in good shape to function properly, but I liked it, especially for mowing, which is what I think it was really designed for.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
haven't had the chance to talk to the guy who has it yet but hopefully we can make arrangements.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi again, i went and looked at the tractor yesterday. the owner doesn't know what to ask for it so he'll give me a price hopefully later in the week. Anyway, the tractor isn't too faded and really straight but almost every thing is loked up except motor and steering. Motor turns over but not running. All wheels will hold air too. what would be a reasonable price? What is the lever below the steering wheel for it goes up to the battery somewhere. Thanks

·
Registered
773 Posts
It is the hood latch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts