My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a local small engine guy that has a few used Marvel Schebler carburators for sale. He claims that they have all been rebuilt and that they were removed from multiple Onan CCK engines. (He does not know what the engines were used for; tractor, generator, welder, etc.) The carb on my 646 looks exactly the same as a few of these carbs with many of the same stampings. My carb has a missing/damaged/illegible model number, so I'm not sure if any of these would work.

Case part numbers don't seem to interchange with the Marvel Schebler part numbers. (VD 10, 75, 76, etc.) I checked with Brian Hildreth before posting and he wasn't sure of the model.

I posted a few pics of my carb (before it was cleaned) to give you guys an idea what I am looking at. Does anyone out there in the TF world know what model carb I have? Or, possibly, someone with a 646 with the same carb and a legible model number? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
asgco.
as you may already know there were many diff carbs like this.
with your carb along, check for fixed or adjustable main jet.
i know there are also diff venturi sizes.
lastly there may be diff. throttle bore sizes.
good luck. boomer

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you were to give a year and Onan spec number of your tractor, maybe someone could look at their number on a close matched tractor if that would help you any. I have a 646, engine serial 0674 812365 spec 2481G. Is this close to yours?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you were to give a year and Onan spec number of your tractor, maybe someone could look at their number on a close matched tractor if that would help you any. I have a 646, engine serial 0674 812365 spec 2481G. Is this close to yours?
My tractor is a 646-75, 1975 model year. The S/N range is 97188XX.

The problem is that I do not know the origin of the engine, fuel pump or carburator. This tractor was purchased new by my grandfather, inherited by me at age 5 (30 years ago), and engine blown shortly thereafter. I had a father and five uncles who loved to play with the tractor, but never remembered to check the oil. The engine was repaired or replaced with authentic Onan CCKA parts, but the fuel system just doesn't add up. The pump is mechanical rather than pulse, not original to the 1975 646. The carburetor is a Marvel Schebler, and possibly original, but I can't be sure. The only two people who know for sure are no longer around to fill me in...

The original Onan engine tag is "somewhere" in my parent's basement. I have turned over every box in the place, found nothing yet.

Is there a model number on the back of your carb? The guy is asking $100 for the carbs, so it might be worth haggling a little bit if he has the same model.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 646 is a very early 1974 with original engine and carburetor. I did add an electric fuel pump 10 years ago. I would guess the 06 74 on the Onan number might be the engine date of manufacture. I cleaned off the back of the carb which is a Schebler and it is a model VD 65. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 646 is a very early 1974 with original engine and carburetor. I did add an electric fuel pump 10 years ago. I would guess the 06 74 on the Onan number might be the engine date of manufacture. I cleaned off the back of the carb which is a Schebler and it is a model VD 65. Hope this helps.
Great info, Thank you very much.

I'm starting to love this place!:trink39:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts