My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chainsaws sat most of the winter and did nothing. Like me. Anyway, I poured out the old gas and put in fresh Ethanol-free fuel, along with some Marvel Mystery Oil. Holy cow, after about a minute or two, the saw was screaming like a crazed woman. Get some and see for yourself how this makes your work a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My dad was an airplane mechanic in WW2. Swore by this stuff. He thought Marvel Mystery Oil was the greatest stuff ever. I have used it a lot.

·
16,235 Posts
I use it quite often--good stuff for a lot of applications....

Like never=seize--if not sure--a little goes a long way. I have several partial large bottles that I bought in a lot sale during an estate final.
Enuff to last my life time.....

glenn

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I've got a couple older Stihl chainsaws, a 029 Super and a 038 Super. I use JP Racing 50:1 and wasn't sure if that was OK for older saws. Stihl states that if you use their oil, you can run 50:1, if you run another brand run, 25:1. I feel JP Racing is as good as Stihl mix and suspect gas, IMO.

My original thoughts were to add Marvel Mystery Oil to the JP Racing 50:1 premix if I needed to be at 32:1 or so.

I did see that do not recommend using outboard oil or oil used for water cooled engines, I suspect two stroke motocross engines.

CCMoe

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
For decades upon decades mechanics have sworn by MM and still do. It's a great top end lube for all 4 stroke engines, I've added it to the gas in mowers & vehicles for over 40 years. Yeah, good stuff for sure.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dad was an airplane mechanic in WW2. Swore by this stuff. He thought Marvel Mystery Oil was the greatest stuff ever. I have used it a lot.
Interesting how the older generation seemed to know about MMO. I had an "old guy" relative who lived in the sub-zero degree mountains in northern Vermont, and he used to run MMO in everything, and it would start regardless of the temperature.

Just hoping the EPA doesn't decide it works too well and decide to ban it.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I use both MMO & Seafoam in all my stored gas, have for years with no winter storage problems.

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts

·
Make Better Mowers
1,967 Posts
MMO added to oil really seems to aid in lubrication. Added to gas doesn't hurt, either, except for a funky odor. My best use is a couple squirts in the air tools. I was a little lax last year and my Chicago/Pneumatic Impact got sluggish......a couple squirts and back in business!

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I switched the front snow blade to my 60" mower deck on my John Deere 455, Yanmar Diesel, greased up deck spindles, set out to mow.

Made a few passes, 455 started bogging down, I figured moisture had got in the tank and separated from the diesel.

I poured in a little MMO, let it set for awhile, tried it after a couple hours, ran like a top.

I figured I would have to drain the tank and fuel filter but that stuff is amazing.

CCMoe

·
Make Better Mowers
1,967 Posts
My chainsaws sat most of the winter and did nothing. Like me. Anyway, I poured out the old gas and put in fresh Ethanol-free fuel, along with some Marvel Mystery Oil. Holy cow, after about a minute or two, the saw was screaming like a crazed woman. Get some and see for yourself how this makes your work a whole lot easier.
Did you substitute the MMO for regular 2 cycle mix or did you add some in conjunction with the standard mix?
My concern is that it might be too lightweight.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you substitute the MMO for regular 2 cycle mix or did you add some in conjunction with the standard mix?
My concern is that it might be too lightweight.
Scientific procedures I used:

1. Mixed up 50:1 2 cycle oil, using a full synthetic oil.

2. Carefully poured a very small amount of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank. Probably somewhere around 1 teaspoon. Then I topped off the tank with 2 cycle mix. Shook it up and fired it up. Oh baby, what a sweet sound.

As a side note, one time I poured a little too much MMO in the tank, and it really didn't hurt anything, it just the gasoline just didn't quite have the kick. But I burned that tankful down, and poured in 2 cycle mix to refill it, and it was fine. Don't be afraid of that stuff. A little does a lot of good for you. Boats, cars, saws, lawn mowers, week whackers, and your wife's hair dryer. They will all run better.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got a couple older Stihl chainsaws, a 029 Super and a 038 Super. I use JP Racing 50:1 and wasn't sure if that was OK for older saws. Stihl states that if you use their oil, you can run 50:1, if you run another brand run, 25:1. I feel JP Racing is as good as Stihl mix and suspect gas, IMO.

My original thoughts were to add Marvel Mystery Oil to the JP Racing 50:1 premix if I needed to be at 32:1 or so.

I did see that do not recommend using outboard oil or oil used for water cooled engines, I suspect two stroke motocross engines.

CCMoe
I use it in my 2 stroke outboard. I mix it directly in with the gasoline, and the oil injection system mixes the oil right into the gas/MMO mixture. NO PROBLEMS, and a nice clean vapor separator tank. No fouling or carbon deposits on the plugs. Purrs like a kitten at idle.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I use it in my 2 stroke outboard. I mix it directly in with the gasoline, and the oil injection system mixes the oil right into the gas/MMO mixture. NO PROBLEMS, and a nice clean vapor separator tank. No fouling or carbon deposits on the plugs. Purrs like a kitten at idle.
I think I may start putting it in more of my equipment.

Some will growl about the cost but if it improves the performance and longevity of the engine, I'm all in.

I know my Stihl FS44 weed trimmer ran like $%^& when I used $%^7 gas with Stihl oil, I bought some motomix and it runs like new but no telling what ethanol did to it. It didn't run well so I didn't use it much, I guess that is a win, I almost pitched it as I thought it had crapped out. The Ethanol learning curve probably cost me a couple grand or better.

3 Lawn Boys, a Stihl 038 Magnum and buying a Toro Personal Pace mower to replace the Lawn Boys.

CCMoe

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I may start putting it in more of my equipment.

Some will growl about the cost but if it improves the performance and longevity of the engine, I'm all in.

I know my Stihl FS44 weed trimmer ran like $%^& when I used $%^7 gas with Stihl oil, I bought some motomix and it runs like new but no telling what ethanol did to it. It didn't run well so I didn't use it much, I guess that is a win, I almost pitched it as I thought it had crapped out. The Ethanol learning curve probably cost me a couple grand or better.

3 Lawn Boys, a Stihl 038 Magnum and buying a Toro Personal Pace mower to replace the Lawn Boys.

CCMoe
I don't think you can go wrong. Last time I bot it at Wally World, I think it was about 5 bucks for a full quart. Not too bad.

BTW, what is MOTOMIX? Is that from that company that brags about how good their oil smells in the exhaust?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
hello guys
my first time to try this Marvel mystery oil out it will be used in a
326 husky trimmer double handle that will be tomorrow like some say
will improve power in my trimmer does not throttle up all the way also to ask
this oil will help out as said by all thank you Scott Lbuser64

1 - 20 of 30 Posts