My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a John Deere 260 and what I have been experiencing so far is that it has trouble shifting at times, I am wondering if this occuring because the previous owner put transmission fluid in it.
I know this is a stupid question but this is the first machine I have owned with a manual tranny.

what type of fluid am I supposed to have in this tranny?

is it transmission fluid or oil
thanks greatly
Mike

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm not sure what or how your trying to shift , these machines do no shift on the go. The ATF is not the fluid , hypoid 90 is good I use tonna 220 but I'm in the south.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I step on the clutch and then brake once stopped I will then shift but when the machine is off it goes into gear fine, when the machine is on I can shift for the most part but sometimes it gets stuck in gear, the fluid in the tranny is Red therefore I think it is ATF. and for some reason think that might have something to do with the issue. I am not sure so I am asking you guys

thanks
mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
craigbaill, that is the machine. with the 6 speed forward 1 reverse
the tranny is a tuff torq, however I do not know the model

·
Super Moderator
32,625 Posts
Look on your tranny and see if you can find the data plate that has the model and Serial number. If it is a Tuff Torq then there is a sticky in the sub-forum that will tell you what fluid for the tranny.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
if its red and thin its ATF , if its red and thick its Red Shock gear lube used in motorcycle trannys , I dout it the latter RS.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mike it seems kinda thin, I think I am gonna change it out with the 90w gear oil that it states in the link above.
but would you think that would have anything to do with the shifting issue ?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
yes it is a bearing surface conditioner as well as a lubracant. just hope you haven't done damage to the sliding gears bearing surface.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi Toro266h,
I'm not sure what transmission fluid the 6 speed manual on the JD260 uses but I can tell you with 100% confidence that this machine is made to be shifted up and down through the gears while moving. It shifts exactly like a stick shift in a car (depress clutch, move shift lever to desired gear, engage clutch). Stopping to shift between gears IS NOT REQUIRED... except of course when going into reverse.
I have owned my JD260 since 1995 and cut about 1 acre of hilly terrain with the machine. As I said, I shift both up and down while cutting and have never had any problem. The tractor was made to be shifted on the fly.
I'm hoping that other MTF folks will give you some good direction on diagnosing your particular problem with the sticky shifting. The owners manual for the JD260 will also tell you the correct tranny lubricant to use. my manual is 300 miles from me right now or I would tell you myself.
Good luck in getting the problem fixed. I have been very happy with the performance and reliability of my JD260. Oh yeah, occasionally I get "tractor envy" looking at what some of the guys on MTF have, but I get over it quick.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Jim: I might stand corrected on shift on the fly my 212 won't shift that way , I figured the 260 has the same tranny , maybe those have syncros the older ones didn't.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts