My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

Does anyone have an owner's manual for a Johnson Loader that would have been mounted on my 1973 HT-20 2086? I can't find a model number, and I would love to have it as a reference. Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for the info! As it turns out, I finally found a tiny sticker on my loader that says its a Model 14! No indication of type, but at least now I have a starting point. If anyone comes across an owner's manual, I would greatly appreciate it.

In particular, I am trying to find info about how one is SUPPOSED to add hydraulic fluid to this loader. There appears to be an air bleeder on the top of the frame reservoir, but its very difficult to access with a wrench because of how it is installed. When I had a broken line earlier in the year, I ended up disconnecting the vertical return line parallel to the reservoir and using a funnel to fill it. It seems like there has to be a better way! Also, how full do you fill it?

Thanks.

Robert

*EDITED* to remove duplicate images

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hi Robert

That's the way to fill it. Remove that vent and add fluid. Make sure all the cylinders are in the down postion (retracted) or you'll have a geyser when you start it up and move the levers!

What fluid are useing? Hy-Trans or ATF? Either will work.

Just fill it to an inch or two below vent plug. If you don't mind a little spillage fill up to the vent and install the vent plug. Cycle the loader a few times and it will release any excess fluid. It's a little sloppy but it works.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Johnson Loader Hydraulic Fluid Model 14 from HT-20

I decided to try your advice to see if I could get that air vent off the vertical tube. It is nestled SOOOO tightly in there that I don't see how I could get a wrench on it. With the air cap blocking access from above, I am curious what they had in mind for trying to fill the darn thing! What am I missing?

Accordingly, I disconnected the low pressure line that runs parallel (vertical) to the frame reservoir. I was about to fill it with hydraulic fluid, when I noticed that there was a little back-seepage and what-do-you-know it was pink! Am I correct in thinking that means that I have ATF fluid in this loader? And that I incorrectly put a pint of hydraulic fluid in when my lines broke earlier in the year? Do I HAVE to drain the lines and put in ATF now that I have a little hydraulic fluid in there as well? I am still down between 1 and 2 pints, I think; can I just add ATF now?

Minds greater than my own must know the answer to these questions...

Thanks!

Robert

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I would just drain it all out and start over. I don't think there is any harm in what you have though. But it can't hurt to have all clean fluid in there. Pick either HY-Trans or ATF and stick with it.

And yes that vent cap is how you fill it. Just grab it with a cobra pliers or vise-grips and rip it off if you have to. A new one will run anywhere from $3-$10 depending on where you get it. And at least you'll know it's venting properly.

·
Super Moderator
16,798 Posts
owners manual for Johnson Loader contact the ARPS company in wisconsin They will have a manual for your loader since they are the parent company of johnson loaders. Here is there phone number (920)894-7013 :smilie_fl

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Johnson Loader Manual

Thanks for the suggestion! It took a little more homework, but following your suggestion I pursued trying to locate ARPS corp and a working phone number.

This is what I found out:

1. ARPS was acquired / became Amerequip Corporation, still in New Holstein, Wisconson. The telephone number is different: (920) 894-7063. I was surpised to get a live person when I called out of curiosity at 9:30 est, and was directed to call back during regular business hours by a very pleasant person. At least the company is still in existence!

2. The web-site is www.Amerequip.com. I am emailing them regarding the info I am looking for, and will let the forum know if I am lucky enough to be successful!

Thanks for the follow-up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Success: Manuals for Johnson Loader Model 14

Amerequip, the successor corp to ARPS, was very helpful and sent me quite a collection of info:

• Mounting Instructions for Bolens Large Frame Tractor (6 pages)
  • Model 14 General Instructions Form 14 1273 (9 pages)
  • Model 14 General Instructions Loader Form 14 578 (16 pages)
  • Model 14 General Instructions Form 14 1175 (12 pages)

Form 14 1175 looks like the one on my HT-20.

I can scan them as jpg's eventually, and I think I can open and then save them as pdf's, but it will take a while. If you have a better way, I could mail you copies of everything. Let me know.

The manuals cover operation, maintenance (didn't know there was an oil strainer on this thing!), installation and removal.

Let me know what your preference is regarding posting copies.

Robert

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Manuals have been uploaded!

The General and supplemental Instruction manuals for the Bolens Large Frame Model 14 Loader have been uploaded and sixchows should have them up shortly, assuming I didn't make any techinical goofs!

Robert

1 - 12 of 12 Posts