My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had problems with my mantis last year (I bought it early in the year used) running. I knew that the PO didnt take that great of care with it so I tore down the carb and rebuilt it. Needed it cause it was all gummed up inside. Flushed the tank clean, put new fuel line and and strainer on it, plus a new plug. But now I cant seem to get it started. I am wondering if the idle screws are not set right. Does anyone know where they should be set at?

·
Administrator
11,946 Posts
The owners manual might show those settings for your specific engine. You can find them here:

http://mantis.com/mantis-owners-manuals.asp

One I was looking at said the following:

"turn the RED, highspeed
screw counter-clockwise
all the way to stop…Then turn
the WHITE, low speed screw
halfway between the counterclockwise
and clockwise stop
positions.
Now restart the engine to
finish the carburetor
adjustment.
Run the engine at full speed
two or three seconds to clear
out any excess fuel. Then return
to idle.
Now, accelerate the engine to
full throttle several times to
check for a smooth transition
from idle to high speed.
If the engine hesitates turn
the WHITE, low-speed screw
counter-clockwise one-eighth of
a turn. Then accelerate the
engine.
Repeat the adjustment until
you get a smooth transition to
high speed."

Above text snipped from: http://mantis.com/global/assets/owners_manuals/08_tillers/401702.pdf

·
Certified Technician
8,606 Posts
Im assuming this has the Kioritz/Echo 2 stroke and not the Honda 4mix right?

I like to start at 2 turns out an H and L and tune from there.

Did you get the gasket behind the carb put back the right way? It has a small holw that allows a pulse signal to get to the carb.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah its the Echo 2 cycle engine, SV4 to be exact. Forgot to mention that. I need to get the owners manual since the one that came with it was all stuck together due to water. I'm pretty sure all the gaskets are back in the correct way.

·
Registered
901 Posts
The manual for my Mantis says to push primer bulb till you see fuel in bulb, then STOP!! If I pushed it once to many times it floods and will not start! Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine doesnt have a primer bulb on it. However I did just adjust the idle screws out 2 turns and tried it again, but its flooding out because gas was coming out the bottom of the carb.

·
Certified Technician
8,606 Posts
Turn the High needle in 1/2 turn, hold the throttle open, and try to start it. Remember to remove the tines, or prop it on something as the shafts will turn when it cranks.

·
Ben's Lawn Mower Repair
431 Posts
i have not had much luck with those two stroke carbs.

normally i just replace them whole carb. They go for $30-40 on ebay. The kit is $10 but comes with the aggravation of installation and a good chance of it not working.

consider replacing the carb if you can't clean out all the little holes on the carb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.