My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
20,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent several hours the past few days rigging up some stuff so I can put a plow/scoop I made a couple years ago onto my Sears Suburbans...

The plow has a push frame thats set up like a full sized fisher plow on a truck--has two ears that pin onto a set of brackets..it was used last on my MTD/Yard-Man and as luck would have it,the "ears" on my Suburbans front axle were almost the same distance apart as the mounts on the other tractor were--maybe an inch narrower on each side,not a big deal,I can get around that easily..

I made a winch mount that'll slide in the mule drive slot out of some square tubing I had salvaged from street sign posts,that "holy" galvanized stuff..it fit snugly in the channel,I had to use my torches to cut slots in the inner ends of the tubes,I used the original mower mule drive as a pattern to copy--I was not at ease using my torch so soon after cataract surgery,but I made it OK without any ill effects..I think I'll wait before I do any welding though,a few more weeks..for now I used bolts to hold the two peices of tubing apart the correct distance for a snug fit,using nuts in between the two of them..

I also used two more slightly smaller O.D.square tubing peices to make two "thrust bars", that I'll pin to the lower front axle mounts that will also be where the plow push frame pins too,they will take any rearward thrust and transfer it to the rear mounts that are used for the mower deck or snowblower push frame and are plenty strong,that will take much of the pushing forces off the single pivot bolt on the front axle...I bored 5/8" holes in the bars and will use /" steel rod to pin it on to the rear mountsm,so as to allow some "flex" when the axle wants to pivot...looking at the stock plow Suburbans used,the front axle took almost all the push force,the mule drive slot bracket maybe takes 25% of it by the looks of it--so my home brewed setup should be at least as beefy,if not more...

Ran out of steam after getting to this point--but I am now able to put the thrust bars on it and the mule drive mount ,I still have to devise a way to put two bolts on that to fit the slots in the front of the tractor chassis and a way to hold the whole thing in there ,so it wont be able to slide out in use...about 85% "done"...

I've been using my latest Suburban 12 as the "test fitter"--I haven't even tried to see if or how well it runs yet--kind of going about things "backwards" but thats my usual way of doing things!..I figured it will fit all 4 of my Suburbans,so at least ONE of them might run when I finally go to use this thing..I hope!..it was the only tractor that I had some ROOM in front of to fool with it,and didn't already have another attachment "plugged in" to it!..

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
Sounds like a pretty solid plan! I would ask for pics, but I know the technical difficulties of having dial up :D

·
15,000 +posts!
20,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No camera also makes posting photos rather difficult too!..:rolleyes:...and the fact I wouldn't have "clue one" on how to do it anyway...wish I had the capeability to post photos,it would save a TON of typing and wear & tear on my keyboard!..

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Older digitals are pretty much dirt cheap now. They make pictures that are presentable but not very large and so are manageable to upload. Check on Craigslist.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts