My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled this home today:

345. 1430 hours. Both valve covers leak like crazy so the whole mower has nice thick dino coating. 54" deck. It cuts well. Pulls and steers like it should. No hood (of course). Updated fuel pump. It looks like it spent some time outside. $1,100.00 Seller threw the push mower in for free!

So how did I do?

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

· Premium Member
3,733 Posts
I don't know those machines well but it seems to me that you did ok. Valve cover gaskets are pretty easy to change. Hood will suck to buy but a small amount of work and you have a nice running driving 345 I think you did well.

· Registered
6,286 Posts
You need to investigate the "plastic cam gear" issue the early water cooled Ks had. You may be ok as your unit is a later model judging by the separate choke lever.

Remove the sheetmetal and deck and pres wash the heck out of the thing !

· Registered
1,788 Posts
It has the 20hp FD611V motor which has the steel gear so no worry there. I think you got a fair deal. Cosmetics it needs a hood and tail lights but you don't need them. You could get a used hood if you can find one. You can fix it up and make it nice and still come out decent or just use it like it is.

Whats weird is it has the 98 and older style seat and seat frame even though it has to be a 99-01. You can replace the seat cover/pad on the older metal backed seats for about $100. That was when JD used metal instead of plastic and bolted it together instead of just glue.
Good solid machine.

· Just John Deere
702 Posts
According to the serial number, the tractor is a 1999 model. I used to own a 345 and it is a good GT. It definitely has a steel cam gear.

The seat is the older style which actually had steel springs. The newer plastic model had hard rubber "springs" that looked like a dog turd and had no spring to them. The older seat springs are much better.

GotDeeres

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.