My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saw a thread while back use a starter motor 12 volt to drive a power steering pump to get cheap hydro source to power snow blade etc .any one got input?or point to a knowledge source? thanks dave don

·
15,000 +posts!
20,824 Posts
It may have been one of my posts,I have used a GM older style P/S pump coupled to a starter motor for a plow lift..I used an old Fisher plow valve body for the up/down lever control..

You can also use a lot of other methods too--if you can get a hold of an old convertible top motor/pump and one of the pistons from an older car from the 60's or 70's,you can make a nice plow lift setup from them that is compact,and since they are double acting pistons,you can rig them to have down pressure too,by using linkage to the plow blade and piston,rather than a cain..there is a "classic farm plans" post I saw here that has a link to a page that tells how to do that ..

I've also saw this past winter what I thought was a very clever way to raise a snowplow on a small tractor--the guy got a small air compressor from a newer caddy with air suspension from a junkyard,and used one Gabriel "Highjacker" air shock to lift the blade,as the "piston"!...

I've seen wiper motors and power window motors used too,they are amazingly powerful due to the worm gearing,but many dont have metal gears and dont hold up well for long..

I use an ATV winch on my tractors snowplow/bucket thing I made,similar to the plywood one in another thread on this forum,its only a 1500 lb one but it will lift things heavy enough to bend the frame on the tractor if I'm not careful..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have the conv top pump now but i'm sure the top lift cyl are to skimpy for this weight of plow blade i have so i use a double acting cyl for angle that came with the boleyn;s blade very heavy,i use a winch for lifting but if i had the pump set up. got a 67 gm pump in garage and a double acting cyl for lifting i'd be good to go!could you take the time to describe how you cobbled yours up?thanks dave don:wwp:

·
15,000 +posts!
20,824 Posts
I know those convertible top pistons look wimpy,but one setup a friend made using them was able to lift BOTH of us standing on the blade like nothing!--and lift the tractor's front end right off the ground when the down pressure feature was used..I dont know how long they lasted though,he sold it almost instantly,as soon as someone saw the hydro plow setup they gave him 300 bucks cash for the tractor,which had been a freebie someone junked due to a bad valve seat in the 12 HP Briggs twin(that was fixed with peening and some J-B weld!)..

I used a length of channel iron,4" I think,to mount the starter motor and GM pump onto--I took the pulley off the pump and the starter I used was an old Ford one from a 60's T-bird that had a exposed bendix drive with the gear facing the starter,by removing that,you get a long straight shaft about 9/16" in diameter..I made a crude "coupler" out of two 5/8" I.D. shaft collars welded to a short hunk of 1/2" pipe,and just drilled into the pump shaft and starter shaft a bit for the setscrews to bite into..it worked OK,but a flexible coupling might have been a better idea..I've seen others use the sprocket and double roller chain couplers too,they work well..you can make a Chevy starter into a similar unit by removing the nose and fabbing up a plate with a 3/4" pillow block flange type bearing too--I used a round 4" electrical box cover to convert one that way,instead of making the plate!..

It might be just as easy to mount the pump to the tractor and power it with a belt off the crank,if you have a horizontal shaft engine..can be done with a vertical shaft too,its just a bit harder,a smaller P/S pump off a later car with a remote resiviour would be better for that type engine though..

Sorry I cant provide any photos,both me and my computer are not capeable of posting any..maybe someday,but not until I'm richer..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts