My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well got a call back and an appointment for one of the two contractors (I've known him for years) to come get me quotes. The window company is coming today!

·
Super Moderator
7,995 Posts
We "were" looking into replacing our 38 yr old Andersen windows (21) and after a LOT of research that found a lot of reasons not to have the company that has the same name and in is the replacement window business do it. A LOT of info out there to sift through so make sure you take your time to select what you are looking for. The good the bad and the ugly are all out there in various reviews. You will have to decide but if you are thinking of using the above mention company be aware that they are probably the highest priced out there. Their product is good and their prices reflect that. We still haven't decided what we will go with. Just my 02¢.
MikeC
I know I kid around a lot...but in all seriousness I thought the whole idea of going for the $$$ for Andersens is that they will last forever...you just looking for a different style?...or are they giving trouble?

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,313 Posts
We "were" looking into replacing our 38 yr old Andersen windows (21) and after a LOT of research that found a lot of reasons not to have the company that has the same name and in is the replacement window business do it. A LOT of info out there to sift through so make sure you take your time to select what you are looking for. The good the bad and the ugly are all out there in various reviews. You will have to decide but if you are thinking of using the above mention company be aware that they are probably the highest priced out there. Their product is good and their prices reflect that. We still haven't decided what we will go with. Just my 02¢.
MikeC
We have Andersens also. They are 35 years old and we are going to replace also. They have been great windows. Cords have broken on a couple and storm windows are showing wear from taking on/off for cleaning/installing AC units.
We also got quote from "Renewal by Andersen". They must be a spin-off/franchise. They are a joke. Cost was outrageous to replace 10 windows (almost $20K) and, in my opinion, are not even same quality as the "real" Andersens. If we signed that night we could get them for $14K. So you can imagine the markup.
Ours are standard 400 Narrowlines. I probably will be going to the local lumber that stocks the real ones and replace as needed. Might even go with a bay on the living room & dining room doubles. They come standard now with the Low-E4 glass plus can get ultra-efficient glass options. Plus the sizes are all standard so replacement should be easy.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,804 Posts
I know I kid around a lot...but in all seriousness I thought the whole idea of going for the $$$ for Andersens is that they will last forever...you just looking for a different style?...or are they giving trouble?
Agreed; we had Andersen crank out style Windows with internal grills installed in our new construction last year. To me it was a toss up between Andersen and Pella.

I’ve lived in 3 homes with Andersen windows built as early as the late 60’s. I lived in 1 house with cheap windows that was built in 2001. There’s reasons I went back to Andersen... I heard nothing but good things about Pella, though. Our builder works with Andersen almost exclusively, which ended up being the final deciding factor. It was a nice little bonus that we found a nearly complete 8’x8’ Andersen sliding door at a Habitat for Humanity, new in box, for $150. Had to buy a $700 frame to make it slide the right way and $80 lock set, but it’s almost $4k otherwise. Good savings for an awesome door. Oh yeah... still need to paint it to match the trim.

My buddy also built a higher end home last year. He went with Jeld-Wen, which I thought is a pretty decent brand. They hate their windows now. Might just be because they’re slide up rather than crank out style, though.

·
Boonie
104 Posts
26 years ago, we had all our windows and sliding doors replaced with Milgard.
I did all the trim work inside and out, to my likings. They've been great.
They added a LOT of character to our home as well. We also did a new architectural roof. 42 square. That was quite the expense.
Fast forward.
2018 we had a 2-car metal parking area installed on a concrete slab. We should of did it years ago. It's been great, all around.
We just had a new Malarky 40yr Architectural roof installed on all structures. Then, new gutters and down-spouts.
We also had the 18' x 36' lexan patio cover replaced with corrugated metal. We're very please, and glad we did it.
Also, we had the chainlink fence guys, install more fencing, to keep our pets out of where vehicles are coming in/out of the property.

What a difference.
The wallet got hit HARD, but, this is our retirement home. At peace, in the countryside.
And, if we have to sell/move at some point, our home is turn-key.
I'm sure the tax man is going to be rubbing his hands together when they re-access all the improvements we've done.

I still have several landscape projects I want to do, to clean things up.

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Company I had today was window world, covers original and next owner for life of the home so you can pass the warranty on in a sale (something I definitely wanted) 25 double hung with 3 of those opaque for bathrooms, and two sliders to replace the 12 pane front picture window for $14,700. This was the company that my nephew recommended and said they were as good or better than Anderson windows. They tilt in to clean and have screens for each window.

·
Administrator
17,389 Posts
Mark, 38yrs is a good run but have already replace couple of the sash raising mechanisms, which are getting harder to find. Couple others have residual problems caused by builder installing them. Yeah, me! Do you want to know the difference between high and low expansion foam in window cavities? One works fine and the other... doesn't budge. Grabbed can out of pile, and not looking, sprayed away. Got six windows out of it, which I had to dig it all out, but they were never perfect after that and are squeaking and complaining. Much like me. Fortunately my house and not one of the other seven log homes I built.

John, I believe they are a subsidiary of Andersen but are franchises. Look at some of the online reviews, and if they are to be believed, the sales folks spend a lot of time denigrating the competition rather than touting their product. And yes, folks I have talked to, both ones that bought form Renewal and those that didn't all mention the high price and the really strong push by salespeople to sign NOW and save $. They don't seem to want to give you time to think it over and compare.

Ted, I grew up in the age of wood window frames and always loved that about the Andersen. A lot of the competition
But in the changing times many are selling vinyl or composite frames (Andersen) with wood being a significant upgrade, if available in that brand.

Tim, Be interested to know how and what you come up with.
MikeC

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,313 Posts
Mark, 38yrs is a good run but have already replace couple of the sash raising mechanisms, which are getting harder to find. Couple others have residual problems caused by builder installing them. Yeah, me!
John, I believe they are a subsidiary of Andersen but are franchises. Look at some of the online reviews, and if they are to be believed, the sales folks spend a lot of time denigrating the competition rather than touting their product. And yes, folks I have talked to, both ones that bought form Renewal and those that didn't all mention the high price and the really strong push by salespeople to sign NOW and save $. They don't seem to want to give you time to think it over and compare.
Ted, I grew up in the age of wood window frames and always loved that about the Andersen. A lot of the competition
But in the changing times many are selling vinyl or composite frames (Andersen) with wood being a significant upgrade, if available in that brand.
MikeC
Mike,
That's the same issues I'm having with the sash cords. They have broken and window won't stay up. A couple have condensation between sealed (not anymore) panes, general window tightness and combination storm/screens are wore out.
We had Renewal come to the house after seeing them at Sussex County Fair. Sales push was really strong and wanted a decision that evening. Turned me right off. Plus the windows they were selling were composite. Not my style, I like the wood finish on the inside.
Kuiken Brothers in Warwick & Sussex, NJ sells Andersen, so I will be getting down there and see what they have that suits our purposes.
Mine are straight forward to remove. The trim outside covers the flashing, so no siding removal is needed, Just have to remove trim inside & out, unscrew window, & install new.
Pella is good manufacturer also, but they were more of a custom made window back when I was doing architectural design drafting and more expensive than Andersen. Might be different now.

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Window replacement is under contract as of Tuesday and had the first general contractor in today. I've known him for a lot of years will be using his quotes to go to the bank, he's known to be one of the highest cost contractors in the area. Got one more I need to get in to give me some quotes and then I'll see what the real cost of the project is going to be.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,313 Posts
Good luck!

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just got word yesterday that the new windows are going to be installed from Nov. 30 - Dec 3rd. It will be interesting to see how much the heating bill drops this winter with new windows throughout the house.

·
Administrator
17,389 Posts
It will be interesting to see how much the heating bill drops this winter with new windows throughout the house.
It better, to make up for freezing while they take out the old ones. Hmm guess we're gonna need pictures!;)
I'm still waffling about doing them. And more about not than yes. Cause we don't have any heating bills. The wood furnace does it all from Nov 1 to mid April. Actually this yr, what with the recent cold spell, I lit it up Oct 29th. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking about when I don't cut wood anymore. Oh well guess I can procrastinate for another six or so months.
IIRC weren't you doing several other things also? To the house that is.
MikeC

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,042 Posts
I lost track of this thread, but my windows were installed about ten days ago. The installers did an excellent job, laid down mats and removed the old windows in less than a minute apiece, and installed the new windows. Installed aluminum trim around the outsides and insulated and calked every possible air leak, in and out. They were done in five hours. You would never know they were there after they cleaned everything up. Five windows, seven grand. :eek: RBA does a lot of business in upstate NY, despite their high prices. Now we can finally open and close all the downstairs windows.

The Andersons on the second floor and in the attic are still working perfectly after 32 years. The new ones are fibrex, which is supposedly better than wood.

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It better, to make up for freezing while they take out the old ones. Hmm guess we're gonna need pictures!;)
I'm still waffling about doing them. And more about not than yes. Cause we don't have any heating bills. The wood furnace does it all from Nov 1 to mid April. Actually this yr, what with the recent cold spell, I lit it up Oct 29th. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking about when I don't cut wood anymore. Oh well guess I can procrastinate for another six or so months.
IIRC weren't you doing several other things also? To the house that is.
MikeC
Mike, yes but except for the open spaces downstairs I can seal off rooms by closing doors when they pull the windows. They are giving themselves 4 days plus that Friday in case they don't get done in 4 days. Only two windows in the house and the garage windows won't be changed out. The original bay window in the front and the newer casements in the kitchen don't need replaced. Several other projects I now have quotes on so I expect those to begin next spring, most contractors aren't taking any new jobs now.

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well this week will be all about preparing for the windows to be replaced so that we don't have to work during the week of Thanksgiving to get everything ready. My son is taking some vacation and we should be able to get everything ready. All curtains, curtain rods, and anything close to a window (for safety and to prevent damage they recommend taking paintings and things hung on walls down) must be removed prior to them doing the work. Fortunately the bay window in my office and the one in the kitchen aren't being replaced so they won't be in here.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,042 Posts
I went through all that right before ours were installed, except I had only five windows to clear. Good that you have your son to help out.

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Got most of the downstairs done, won't take the living room curtains and rods down until the night before. Will be removing my window AC unit from the master BR so I don't have to deal with it later, my son's and my BR curtains also won't come down until absolutely necessary either. On the day of I will also have to move the dryer out of the upstairs laundry room so they can access the window there. A lot more work to this than you think until you get started.

·
Super Moderator
7,995 Posts
Well...you should not have to do it again 😉 and I think you will see a big savings on your heating bill

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Spending the next few days preparing for the Window replacement, have to move anything close to the windows out and away, anything on walls that could fall, etc... and of course some of this stuff hasn't been moved in ages so got to clean too! Though the good cleaning will wait till they are done installing. Hoping to see a major improvement in heat retention in the house, you could feel breezes from the old windows.

·
Super Moderator
7,995 Posts
Good way to handle that and get some seat time...pull the 322 with the bucket on it right outside the window....open the window...and load everything into the bucket...as someone on here says...easy peasy 😂

21 - 40 of 85 Posts