My Tractor Forum banner

221 - 240 of 321 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Couple more shots, contractors are gone, had some issues with the pumper but they got it working. Nearly knocked one guy off his feet when they first got the mud to pump through. Lots of work to make things nice for storing and working on my equipment. Yep, can't wait to walk on it, they said probably Monday till I could drive and load the attachments in to the shed. But I can walk on it tomorrow. Some more shots as they finished things up, the round things in the shed are pilings (about 3.5 ft deep from the PO for his wood stove. I did pull one out a few weeks ago:

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,595 Posts
It looks good, Tim. I would stay off it for a few days. Was it too small for expansion joints? When I had my 20x24 garage built they didn't use them and I didn't notice it until it was too late. Now it has an X crack that covers a good portion of the pad. I had to fill it in.

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Super Moderator
35,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
It looks good, Tim. I would stay off it for a few days. Was it too small for expansion joints? When I had my 20x24 garage built they didn't use them and I didn't notice it until it was too late. Now it has an X crack that covers a good portion of the pad. I had to fill it in.
Al, he had them add fiber to it and it is poured on top of foam, he said that should keep if from developing cracks. I guess time will tell, they also poured on top of foam in the existing shed so we'll see how all of that goes. I plan to not put any equipment on it until next Monday. I'm excited to have this done finally, heading to Harbor Freight tomorrow to pick up some dollys for the attachments!! :) Should make arranging things in the shed much easier!!

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,595 Posts
I hadn't heard about foam base before.

For me, dollies are mandatory. I bought a small one at HF for the snow blower quick-attach and made two for the loader and snow blower. I wouldn't be able to use them without the dollies.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
PA318Guy,

Concrete does two things, gets hard and cracks.

They can cut lines in it to control cracks.

It will be interesting to see if the existing column's move with the slab during freeze, thaw conditions.

I'm envious all the same.

CCMoe

·
Super Moderator
35,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
I hadn't heard about foam base before.

For me, dollies are mandatory. I bought a small one at HF for the snow blower quick-attach and made two for the loader and snow blower. I wouldn't be able to use them without the dollies.
I'd never heard about the foam either till he said that is the best way to keep it from cracking. Not sure I'm a firm believer, ask me again in a year or two!

Can't wait to have stuff on the dollys, tired of having to manhandle everything around in there!
PA318Guy,

Concrete does two things, gets hard and cracks.

They can cut lines in it to control cracks.

It will be interesting to see if the existing column's move with the slab during freeze, thaw conditions.

I'm envious all the same.

CCMoe
Well we'll see, I have several slabs of concrete here around the property that haven't cracked, and others that I'll be replacing due to the lifting and cracks.

This may be my favorite improvement on the property this year, I'll be using it all the time!! :)

·
Super Moderator
7,318 Posts
Tim, congrats on the crete. What size and type of shop are you gonna build?

·
Super Moderator
35,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Randy, 20 x 24 ft. workshop, mostly metal and mechanical in there, I'm going to leave the electronics area in my basement as it doesn't create near the amount of odor as all the welding and grinding and possibly painting does. I'll put an exhaust fan or two in for heat and to clear and fumes from the building, if I need heat I'll just use my torpedo heater. I may change to something else in the future but it'll do for now. I'm planning on upgrading my home electrical service so I can bring 220v with some higher amps into several locations. That way I can move equipment where it's needed but the workshop will have at least two receptacles in it, one for a welder and one for a possible big stationary compressor. Got to have air to sandblast and plasma cut!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,318 Posts
Randy, 20 x 24 ft. workshop, mostly metal and mechanical in there, I'm going to leave the electronics area in my basement as it doesn't create near the amount of odor as all the welding and grinding and possibly painting does. I'll put an exhaust fan or two in for heat and to clear and fumes from the building, if I need heat I'll just use my torpedo heater. I may change to something else in the future but it'll do for now. I'm planning on upgrading my home electrical service so I can bring 220v with some higher amps into several locations. That way I can move equipment where it's needed but the workshop will have at least two receptacles in it, one for a welder and one for a possible big stationary compressor. Got to have air to sandblast and plasma cut!!!
Every now and then I cringe at what I should have put into my garage expansion and wellhouse when I had them built. I'll try to remember a few things and post them. One is 110V receptacles in the ceiling. Wish I had one in my wellhouse for a hanging cord reel. I love the one in my garage.

·
Super Moderator
35,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
I put outlets in the ceiling of the shed, mostly for lights but I have a spare or two. Haven't got my "electrical plan" figured out yet for the workshop completely. There will be a plethora of outlets of varying types though!

·
Super Moderator
7,318 Posts
Another thing Tim was an extra beam in the rafters to allow me to use a come along to lift an engine out if I need to.

4,772 Posts
Yep, in the winter I'd put the snowblower down, and then the next time I'd try to use it I'd get a big chuck of dirt frozen to the bottom of it when I lifted it glad that will be a thing of the past. Couldn't get on the floor to work without spreading a tarp or putting a piece of wood down.
Now you can rest the snow blower on a movable cart and slide it anywhere you want.

·
Super Moderator
35,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
My lower garage shop ..... Put underground 60 amp service ... sitting on 20 piers, and floor is 4x8 , 1 inch plywood (shoring for trenches) , 1ft on center ..... trusses for ceiling, as they make them here in town, cedar vinyl siding.

View attachment 2501199
Nice looking shed, nice landscaping around it as well!

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Well we'll see, I have several slabs of concrete here around the property that haven't cracked, and others that I'll be replacing due to the lifting and cracks.

This may be my favorite improvement on the property this year, I'll be using it all the time!! :)
[/QUOTE]

PA318Guy,

I hope your concrete holds up well, nothing better than a nice flat floor to work off of.

I've done a lot of residential building and the man of the house's eyes always lit up when we got to the garage part.

CCMoe

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Citizen of Earth
15,743 Posts
I was a bit surprised in there was no rebar or wire mesh in the slabs. But I have never seen foam laid down before either. What a joy it will be to have smooth floors to work off of. Seeing your basement steps all straightened up looks good! When I had my house built, I had a pre-cast stair case installed with the std, Bil-Co steel door put on top. My steps will never change shape or slope, but the steps are slippery as heck when wet, or have wet leaves on them. I recently bought rubber stair treads to glue down on them.

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Super Moderator
35,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
So today should be interesting, starting at about 4:30 PM yesterday we started getting spurts of heavy torrential rain. Contractor said that the concrete was hard enough on the new outside pad to handle it and didn't put down plastic that he had with him. So just went out and checked and he was correct, the new pad shows no ill effect of the rain from last night. Also it should have helped the curing process since it was a warm rain. I'll probably spray the surface of the concrete in the shed today as well when the rain breaks a bit longer.

4,772 Posts
They sprayed my concrete driveway 20 years ago with a curing compound after they finished it with a float. I don't know if they do that process any more. It was a 6 inch double wide slab with expansion joints every 20 feet. It had wire mesh in it. The back patio they made 4 inches thick with wire mesh. We could of had it done in cobble stone but the price at the time was 30K. Finished concrete was more affordable.

221 - 240 of 321 Posts