My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an x475 with quick attach front blade, no rear 3 point. Has anyone made anything for the front quick attach for maintaining there driveway? Thought about making some sort of "rake" to bring back up the rock from being packed down.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
It depends on how bad your driveway is, how steep it is, what it is made of, and what kind of weather you get.

I have over a quarter mile of "gravel", but it's a mix of types with some river rock of various sizes in there. It is mostly flat, but there are a few hills that are 5 to 10 degrees (so not very steep, but certainly noticable). I use a grading scraper that I pull with my Kubota B2620 ( a small Compact Utility Tractor). It is at least two "sizes" bigger than an X. When the grading scraper is full, I have to ease up on it when going uphill or i loose traction. My grading scraper is only 48" wide and just barely covers my tracks. It is one of the easiest ways to maintain and renovate a gravel driveway. While i am much better at it now than I was a decade ago, even then I could do a decent job with it. Using a box scraper or rear blade is much harder.

Since you don't have a 3PH, you are limited in what you can use. You could get a pull behind chain harrow. I have one of those. I can pull a 4' wide by 2' long one behind my X300. The X475 should be able to handle one much bigger. But, it will take many passes and you will likely need to add weight.

I am thinking about mounting my sleeve hitch on the front and using a lightweight "landscape" rake on it for final grooming. I don't believe it would work well for restoration (like what it needs after all the snow and rain we have had this season).

·
blinged out
1,171 Posts
I made a box frame from old bed frame angle iron, drilled a series of holes 1.5" apart and put large snowmobile studs in it. I pull it with the x500 with three suitcase weights on it and it works great! it does take about 10' to turn around so depending how much room you have putting a hitch on both ends so you can pull it from either end might make it work in tighter conditions!
My drive is 40yr. old crusher run so it's about as hard as concrete, a dozer couldn't loosen it easily, my rake loosens it with about 4 passes in ea. direction! the only other thing that's worked as well is a harley rake on a tracked bobcat!
the snowmobile studs are very hard and last a long time!

·
Super Moderator
15,426 Posts
I have an x475 with quick attach front blade, no rear 3 point. Has anyone made anything for the front quick attach for maintaining there driveway? Thought about making some sort of "rake" to bring back up the rock from being packed down.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Fort years all I Used to Maintained My 1/4 Mile Gravel Driveway at My rental House In NY was a front Blade I would Back Drag with the front Blade. If You Iinterested In getting a 3 Point Hitch a aftermarket Limited Cat 1 is about $475 + shipping here Ruegg MFG - Agricultural Hitch Kits for Various Tractors it is $200 Less than the OEM Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch and it will allow You to get the right attachmnet for the Job such as a Box scrape of a Land Plane (y)

·
blinged out
1,171 Posts
I bought one of these to main a shared gravel driveway. It has been wonderful! Pull it behind the x540 with a couple tractor weights on the drag to add some weight. Very economical considering the other drags that other manufacturers produce.
Handozer 42 in. Dirt and Gravel Drag for Lawn Mower-D3.5-MG - The Home Depot
that looks like it would work good ,but pretty pricey! the one I built is similar but without the wheels! a blade wouldn't scratch my driveway! I prefer it hard packed with no loose gravel to get thrown onto grass, but you must maintain slope so water doesn't sit and form the pot holes in the first place!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts